National Scout Muesem

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

National Scout Muesem

Postby stevenscout » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:39 pm

Has anyone been to the National Scout Muesem? My troop went last week and we had a good time. The muesem was pretty cool. They had a lot off old stuff there.

stevenscout
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
Micco Chapter Vice Chief 2004
Kaskanampo Chapter Chief 2005
Kaskanampo Vice Chief of Ceremony 2006
Quartermaster January 06-May 07
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby 616kayak » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Never been there is it in Al?
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby Lynda J » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:12 am

It is in Irving Texas. My boys have been there twice and enjoy it. Especially the hands on and the virtual activities like kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing.

My Web Den donated a pair of shoes. I found them at a resale shop. They had the official BSA logo on the sole and inside. I did some research and found that the company that made them went out of business in 1956. They had never been worn and still had the paper price tag on them of $4.95.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

NSM

Postby riverwalk » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:49 am

Yes, the current home (it's been elsewhere in the past) is in the Las Colinas portion of Irving. Sports folks may know this is also where the Dallas Cowboys are (for a short time, haha). Besides the awesome exhibits and interactive stuff, the Gallery of the surviving Norman Rockwell paintings is worth the visit. All surely know how long Rockwell has been connected to Scouting.

It's not the only Scouting Museum, nor is it the only one here in the Metroplex. But it is the National one, and located next to National's headquarters. I'm in there often (Scout Shop there also), and many Activities and workshops are held there. Many Webelos Activity badges are conducted there. I've been promoting their next big event, "First Annual Dutch Oven cook-off". And I've been suggesting that local Scouters (Circle Ten at least) can use this as practice for their upcoming Scout Show. BUT, here's the fly in the buttermilk....as of Monday the 27th, ONLY TWO reservations have been made, and the deadline is April 9th.

Granted, this isn't an easy place to attend for many in Scouting, as it wasn't in previous locations. But between me and Lynda J, maybe we can cook up some more interest in this thing, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

NSM

Postby riverwalk » Sat May 06, 2006 2:33 pm

Well, only five groups participated in the Cook-Off event. Maybe with increased promotion it will improve.

They also do Lock0Ins and Crossovers there too. Y'all can get the emailed Newsletter also, if you just visit their website perhaps.

Lynda, tell me where your post was on the recent lifesaving scenario, as I heard of another.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun