Hiking/Trekking Poles

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Hiking/Trekking Poles

Postby mrcis » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:12 am

I have been trying to figue out for about a month which hiking poles to buy. I don't hike much yet but we're coming up on the season when the troop goes several times over the next few months, and I need to get in shape and have them for the hikes. Our scoutmaster recommended Komperdell, and I've seen some possibilites there. I'm really intrigued by the price and features of the Bass Pro Shops model (antishock, collapsable, aluminum alloy, etc) for 15 bucks a pole. Quite a difference from the ones I've seen for upwards of $200. Has anyone used these? What do you all recommend. How about the best quality for the cheapest price? Cane grip or rubber? Ski type or Cane type grip? A/S or regular? As you can see, confusion has set in. By the way, I've done about 8 miles over the last month and have used some regular ski poles I picked up at Goodwill. They seem to work ok--would dedicated hiking poles be any better.

Thanks!
mrcis
Second Class

Postby JazerNorth » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:20 am

A sturdy wooden stick works great. Just make sure the pole is long enough to keep your elbow at a 90 degree angle with your upper arm along your body when relaxed. Hiking poles are used to carry some weight as you walk, and periodically keep your balance. They help keep your balance going up and down hills/mountains. You want one long enough to use as a defense if you need to, but not so long that it is hard to handle. You want light, and sturdy. I use a branch that I have dried, peeled off the bark, and cleaned up. I scratched some good stuff in the side and made it look good.

Enjoy.

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

What's in a name?

Postby riverwalk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Or, staff, stave, stick, pole, whatever...they are useful. I don't know all the commercial models, and usually don't recommend anything. But that comes from being a Public Servant, and having to avoid it, haha.

I've often looked at the medallions for mounting on poles, but haven't done so. I think I would only do that for a ceremonial model, to avoid losing them. Here's one of the things I do on some poles. I've wood-burned things like my Units, or Camps, or even a ruler. Yes, I mean i placed markings along the length so I could measure rope, fish, whatever, haha.

And don't forget First Aid uses, and Camp gadgets. Other than one more thing to keep up with, they're very handy. Ever needed to reach someone or get help getting up a bank?? Extend the pole, just like in water rescues.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby 616kayak » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:50 pm

leki makes great trecking poles i hike alot faster with mine.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby stevenscout » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:32 pm

I own a pair of trekking poles, but I don't use them much. After a few miles I get tired of holding them and strap them on my back. I know some will disagree with me but their not good for much except going up and down hills. As was mentioned earlier, a good stick should do fine and it is much cheaper.

stevenscout
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
Micco Chapter Vice Chief 2004
Kaskanampo Chapter Chief 2005
Kaskanampo Vice Chief of Ceremony 2006
Quartermaster January 06-May 07
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby mrcis » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm fairly heavy and old (ha, ha) and our SM said poles definitely help folks wtih those problems. I found a pair of Leki AS for about $70; those have entered the running along with the Komperdell AS Walker ($85/pair). I'm still trying to plan a trip to Bass Pro to check out their model.
mrcis
Second Class

Postby 616kayak » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:59 pm

Trekking poles will take a load of your feet its surprising what they can do.

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby deweylure » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:18 am

Get the treking pole with the spring loaded shock built in its better than the solid one. I used mine for summer camp it came in handy especially when the old bones acted up.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby 616kayak » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:11 pm

my dad's have shocks mine dont. It helps alot with rocks.

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Trekking Poles

Postby mrcis » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:08 am

Bought them. Not AS but these will do for now. A 2-fer-1 buy so my son gets a pair too. Check it out at

http://www.steepandcheap.com/steepcheap ... d=9WqdLSHF

Thanks for the input. I'll post again later and let you know how they feel
mrcis
Second Class

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:32 pm

I have a pair of Swissgear's with springs that cost me $20 for the pair.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun