Permission Slips/Medical Treatment

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Forms

Postby riverwalk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:39 pm

Yeah most Scouters will find it easy to locate a Notary. But here's what we used to teach in basic trainings. Always have a Permission slip and notarized. Always know what the receiving Hospital requires, as they are different from each other. And always follow your Sweet 16, or at least remember the sandwich principle part of it. Scouters know what this is.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby mhjacobson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:23 pm

All that a notary can certify is that the signature was genuine. That will not solve anything.

Whenevery going on a trip, the trip leader should have a copy of the "informed consent" permission slip and the "scout phyical" and I highly recommend that all use the recommended wording on the consent that is provided by BSA. The consent should be specific to the event.

With these two documentsin hand, NO Hospital or Doctor would ever refuse treatment of an injured scout.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:41 am

Last May I took a Scout to the ER and had no problem with the permisssion to treat permission slip. BSA Summer Camps only require permission to treat permission slips. I am suprised to hear other units had problems.

In the spirit of Be Prepared I guess it would be a good idea to find out the policy of local hospitals
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Notes

Postby riverwalk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:58 am

It is really more about what the Receiving hospital requires. That's why we train Scouters to get it notarized or check with the hospital that will be the likely Receiving hospital.

Not to be morbid, but consider this example. My work is responding to emergencies. One of the more stressful situations we used to encounter, was arriving to work on someone the family didn't want "worked" on. Families became outraged when we couldn't honor their loved one's desire to not be resuscitated. People had to have been properly dedicated into the area's system before we could recognize this. Please know I don't want to take this down any road but the TP issues, just know that there are sometimes sound reasons for dotting i's and crossing t's.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun