National Camping Award question

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

National Camping Award question

Postby mimi05 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:47 pm

Can someone explain how the camping nights are calculated...Arrival time at camp of 5pm, Friday, departure time noon on Sunday. Would this be considered 1 or 2 nights for the camping award and merit badge. I had read somewhere online that to count it as 2 you would need to be at camp for 48 hours. Please help.

Mimi
mimi05
Scout

Postby RWSmith » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:54 am

Welcome to the board, mimi05. Make yourself comfortable. Take advantage of the "Search" feature, if you like. (The board has grown a bit, making that a bit useful.)

To answer your question, it's just exactly as you stated... nights. Hours are not found in these requirements; but, hours are used as a measure in other requirements.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby mimi05 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:52 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I am new to the message board but not to Scouts. My son has been in since Tiger Cubs and is now within 3 requirements of First Class. My hubby is the SM and of course I volunteer alot. Thanks for telling me about the search feature on the board.

Mimi
mimi05
Scout

Postby joat » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:52 am

If you're referring specifically to the National Camping Award, the requirements and definitions are found on the application #33690A. Quoting "... Scouts must be in attendance for each twenty-four-hour period to count as a camper day ...".

Requirements for other awards, rank requirements, or merit badges may be defined differently, simply as "overnight" or "nights" or "days", terms which mean exactly what they say.
joat
Life

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun