Mammal Study Project to increase number of mammals

Mammal Study, Medicine, Metalwork, Model Design and Building, Motorboating, Music, Nature, Oceanography, Orienteering, Painting, Pets, Photography, Pioneering, Plant Science, Plumbing, Pottery, Public Health, Public Speaking, Pulp & Paper, Radio, Railroading, Reading, Reptile and Amphibian Study, Rifle Shooting, Robotics, and Rowing.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Mammal Study Project to increase number of mammals

Postby Scout_Mom » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:24 am

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas for this project. I can only think of building bat houses as a feasible option. What Did you or your troop do? Thanks for any replies.
Scout_Mom
Scout

Re: Mammal Study Project to increase number of mammals

Postby Quailman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:00 am

The requirement reads "Working with your counselor, select and carry out one project that will influence the numbers of one or more mammals."

It says influence, not necessarily increase. This is one of those requirements that puzzles me. Could a boy eliminate the mouse infestation in the barn? How about taking the family dog to the vet to get him fixed?

I recall seeing a raccoon house project plan somewhere, but doing that or feeding squirrels might aggravate your neighbors.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:23 pm

If you know of anybody with rural property, building a brushpile out in the woods gives shelter for different species of mammals.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Scout_Mom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
Scout_Mom
Scout

Return to Merit Badges -- M-R