Bugling MB being dropped in 2011

American Business, American Cultures, American Heritage, American Labor, Animal Science, Archaeology, Archery, Architecture, Art, Astronomy, Athletics, Atomic Energy, Auto Mechanics, Aviation, Backpacking, Basketry, Bird Study, Bugling, Canoeing, Chemistry, Chess, Cinematography, Climbing, Coin Collecting, Collections, Computers, Cooking, and Crime Prevention.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Bugling MB being dropped in 2011

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Bill Nelson, a Scouter in the Grand Canyon Council wrote to BSA's "Ask the expert" as follows:
The Bugling merit badge is no longer on the scouting.org site, and it looks like the Music merit badge requirements have changed to absorb Bugling. What's happening there?
Here's their reply, which confirms the guess I made a week or so ago:
That's a great question, and it's one that a lot of Scouters are asking. Diane Leicht of the BSA's Youth Development team tells us that the Bugling merit badge will be discontinued in 2011 and its requirements will be merged into Music merit badge. Here's her full response:

The revised merit badge pamphlet that merged Bugling into Music was released earlier this year. It won’t be official until the 2011 Boy Scout Requirements book is released in January 2011.

Scouts may continue to earn the Bugling merit badge using the old pamphlet until that time. If Scouts have a copy of the new merit badge pamphlet with Music only, they can choose to earn the Music merit badge and complete the new bugling option as part of the requirements for the Music merit badge.

The two merit badge pamphlet covers illustrate this change. Previously, Music and Bugling were two separate merit badges that shared a pamphlet. With the new pamphlet, Bugling is no longer a separate badge, and bugling-related requirements become an option for Scouts seeking the Music merit badge.
I've posted the revised requirements on the USSSP (usscouts.org).
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Re: Bugling MB being dropped in 2011

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:52 pm

BTW, other than the revised cover and revised requirements, the new MUSIC merit badge pamphlet is IDENTICAL to the old MUSIC and BUGLING pamphlets (both the black and white edition (33341A) and the 2008 Color edition (35921)). Both of those, and the new one have a copyright date of 2003.

The only changes are
(1) the cover,
(2) the color photos and drawings (which are the same as the previous color edition),
(3) the requirements (of course),
(4) the heading of the last chapter, which changed from "Bugling" to "The Bugle",
(5) A photo was moved from page 3 of the old color edition to page 4 (where the bugling requirements formerly appeared, and
(6) References to Bugling requirements 3 and 2b on pages 72 & 73 now refer to Music requirements 4g & 4f.

Except as noted above, the text is identical, the layout of each page is unchanged, and all of the music is still there for all of the bugle calls, not just the ones listed in the new requirements.

So, if you have the old black and white or color editions, don't bother buying a new booklet.

One further note, however. The MUSIC in the pamphlets is quite small and hard to read, and for 3 of the bugle calls (Fatigue, Fire, and Call to Quarters) is incorrect in the pamphlets. I've posted the correct music, which appeared in earlier editions (pre 2003), on the USSSP. (Thanks to Bruce McCrea for noting the errors and providing scans of the correct music.)
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:15 pm

"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:36 pm

I've updated the USSSP accordingly. The only question remaining is what will happen to the Music MB requirements. We probably won't know until January.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 am

PaulSWolf wrote:I've updated the USSSP accordingly. The only question remaining is what will happen to the Music MB requirements. We probably won't know until January.

The rumor is that Geocaching will be added to the Music requirements since they can't seem to get either the pamphlet or MB out. There will be a requirement to sing while you are searching for caches. In our council you have to sing the New Birth of Freedom council theme song..."We are Family" :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FrankJ » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Since hopefully we are out in the woods, I prefer Lions, Tigers & Bears, On My.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:09 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:The only question remaining is what will happen to the Music MB requirements. We probably won't know until January.

See: Music on the wiki... the current and 1/1/2011 requirements are posted there. (Paul, I thought I got these from you...???)

See also: Bugling on the wiki for details about that, too.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 pm

BSA recently announced that Bugling will be retained, not dropped. See: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/0 ... badge.html
RWSmith wrote:
PaulSWolf wrote:The only question remaining is what will happen to the Music MB requirements. We probably won't know until January.
See: Music on the wiki... the current and 1/1/2011 requirements are posted there. (Paul, I thought I got these from you...???)
You probably did. Those are what's posted on the BSA site (and the USSSP) too. But with Bugling staying a separate MB, they MAY drop requirements 4e, 4f, and 4g, or they may keep them. I don't know which.
RWSmith wrote:See also: Bugling on the wiki for details about that, too.
They'll change the name of the pamphlet back to "Music and Bugling" and will add the Bugling requirements back into the booklet. In any case, the Bugling wiki page should be revised to either eliminate the note in the box at the top, or revise it to state that the decision has been rescinded, and that there's no deadline in starting work on the badge.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby RWSmith » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Oh! Okay. I get it now. I was just over there on Scouting Magazine's blog the other day... guess I missed it. Phooey.

P.S. ARGH!!! -- They shouldn't have considered dropping it in the first place. (Like nobody thought there wouldn't be a near riot about it?)

Thanks, again... Now I understand. I'll update the wiki.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to Merit Badges -- A-C