Perfect age for Family Life Merit Badge???

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby Mrw » Tue May 23, 2006 4:00 pm

EagleBoy62204 wrote:I tell them now, as long as they have scout and an ambition to complete the badges and stick with it, the age doesnt matter.

That is exactly the best answer!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby MisterChris » Tue May 23, 2006 4:03 pm

Scouting179 wrote:There is no perfect age or minimum age for any merit badge. A Scout can work on any of them whenever he wants. He should never be made to wait because he's "not old enough". Similarly, there is no minimum age for Eagle (or any other rank), despite what some like to think.

Well, Scouting179, I have to differ with you on this one.

According to the Req book, In order to achieve the rank of Scout a boy needs to be 11 or completed 5th grade.

In order to make Tenderfoot he needs to have attended an overnighter (1 mo) plus complete 30 days PT -
(now he's 11yr 1mo minimum)
In order to reach 2nd Class he needs to attend 5 separate troop/patrol activities, 2 of which must be campouts - for the average troop, this would take at least 3-5 months
(now he's 11yr 4mo minimum)
In order to reach First Class he needs to attend 10 separate troop/patrol activities, at least 3 of which are campouts. - I am sure most troops count this as 'total' rather than counting them separate from those at 2nd class, still this would take another 3-5 mo
(now he's 11yr 7mo min)
In order to reach Star, he must hold a position and be active in the troop for 3 mo since becoming 1st class.
(now he's 11yr 10 mo min)
In order to reach Life, that's another 6 mo
(now he's 12yr 4 mo min)
In order to reach Eagle, that's another 6 mo
(now he's 12yr 10 mo min)

In order to break this 'minimum age' a troop would have to have more than 2 additional activities every month not including scout meetings and patrol meetings. These usually involve campouts and service projects. But the average troop doesn't do a service project every month.

It used to be expected that a scout would have trouble making Eagle before age 13, but certainly scouts have achieved the rank before 13.

So, to rebut the statement, no there is no 'age' discrimination here, but time constraints on the requirements to make each rank.
Eagle Scout since 1978

Third of 3 Eagle Scout sons of OJ 'Jump' Solaas, promoted to heaven 05/1988

http://www.troopole97.com
MisterChris
Star

Postby scoutaholic » Tue May 23, 2006 5:23 pm

MisterChris wrote:
Scouting179 wrote:There is no perfect age or minimum age for any merit badge. ... Similarly, there is no minimum age for Eagle ...

According to the Req book, In order to achieve the rank of Scout a boy needs to be 11 or completed 5th grade.

In order to make Tenderfoot ...(now he's 11yr 1mo minimum)
In order to reach 2nd Class ... (now he's 11yr 4mo minimum)
In order to reach First Class ... (now he's 11yr 7mo min)
In order to reach Star, ... (now he's 11yr 10 mo min)
In order to reach Life, ... (now he's 12yr 4 mo min)
In order to reach Eagle, ... (now he's 12yr 10 mo min)

Actually, the joining requirement says they only have to be 10 (if they have earned the Arrrow of Light, which you can earn 6 months after turning 10 or completing the 4th grade. If they skip a grade in school, they could join Boy Scouts on their 10th Birthday. Otherwise, the AOL requirement still allows them to join at 10.5).

After joining, the only time requirements are: 6 Months for Eagle, 6 Months for Life, 4 Months for Star, and the 30 Days for Tenderfoot requirement 10.

By those calculations, a boy could finish his Eagle 17 months after joining Boy Scouts, so could be 11 and 5 months.

It would be difficult to get all 10 activities/camps required for 1st class all within one month. This would likely slow them down a little, but I can think of ways it could be done pretty quickly. (What if the boy joins more than one troop, or a big troop that has a lot of activities).

I'm not saying that a scout SHOULD earn Eagle that soon or that fast, but it is POSSIBLE. My opinion is that a scout should earn Eagle by 14. This gives them 3-4 years after joining, but still gets them done before girls/cars/school activities/etc/etc distract them from doing it.
Last edited by scoutaholic on Tue May 23, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby 616kayak » Tue May 23, 2006 6:36 pm

Mrw wrote:
EagleBoy62204 wrote:I tell them now, as long as they have scout and an ambition to complete the badges and stick with it, the age doesnt matter.

That is exactly the best answer!

I agree its all about motivation.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required