Perfect age for Family Life Merit Badge???

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Perfect age for Family Life Merit Badge???

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:26 pm

This badge is one of many that I am a councilor for. In my troop i have been contacted by alot of young scouts who want to start on this badge. Looking over the requirements however, and having earned this badge as a scout and using what i learned and appling it in real life, i feel that these kids are a tad too young (11 - 12 years old). Am I wrong for turning them down and having them wait till they are at least 13 to start the badge... or should I let them take it with me?
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby diamondbackAPL » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:57 pm

If I was a counselor for this badge, I would wait until the scout is mature enough for requirement 6. It really just varies with each scout.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Mrw » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:00 pm

It really depends on the boy.

There have been discussions on here in regards to other badges about age requirements. There are none as National feels the scout should be able to attempt any badge he feels up to.

Maybe you need to be helping the younger boys set up a plan where they can work throught the skills to earn this at their pace rather than just putting them off for an arbitrary period.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Scouting179 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:33 am

There is no perfect age or minimum age for any merit badge. A Scout can work on any of them whenever he wants. He should never be made to wait because he's "not old enough". Similarly, there is no minimum age for Eagle (or any other rank), despite what some like to think.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Re: Perfect age for Family Life Merit Badge???

Postby ASM-142 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:48 am

EagleBoy62204 wrote: ... Am I wrong for turning them down and having them wait till they are at least 13 to start the badge... or should I let them take it with me?

It is not up to the counselor or SM to decide if a scout can take a badge. If the boy is a registered scout he can take any badge he decides upon (up to the age limit of 18).
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:32 am

I counsel Family Life. Though I did not work with him on this badge Kevin has just finished Family Life he turned 12 in April. I am working three other boys working on it that just came up into the troop they are 10 will be 11 over the summer. I don't think there is any age that Family Life is to young for. I don't see anything in this badge that a 11-12 year old wouldn't be able to do. Most of the things it requires we have been doing for years. As for requirement 6. We have been having family meetings since Kevin was about 6. They covered substance abuse in school when he was in 4th grade through a program called DARE. Our local childrens hospital offers a program for young men that deals with the body changes as they reach puberty. Family crisis. When Kevin was 7 my husband passed away from cancer. The hospice group we used included him in everything that was done. He understood the medication he was taking and the reason. He help with the care and went through a counseling program for a child losing a parent (even though Kevin is a foster I got him when he was 4) Family finances we discuss. Last year we purchased a new TV. We check the quality of what we could afford. He went online and check consumer ratings of the different ones we were considering.
You can chose not to counsel any boy on any badge but never deny him a badge because YOU don't feel he is old enough.
Last edited by Lynda J on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby diamondbackAPL » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:34 am

why is it that there are multiple forums on this board about ages for merit badges? optimist, u should make a separate section just for this.
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:35 pm

Shane,

Regardless of the brand of Ice Cream shop you visit, you can always count on Vinilla and Chocolate being offer, where ever you go... this is one of those questions that has been, and will continue to be, asked.

And the answer, in this case, is ALWAYS the same... To quote Mrw, "It really depends on the boy."
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:10 pm

You will know when working with the boys, whether or not they're ready for it. Start them on the 90 chart and meet only with the boys that complete that part after the 90 days. That way the boys get another 3 mos to mature and the ones that don't finish the chart in time will have to compete this before moving on.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby ASM-142 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:14 am

ICanCanoeCanU wrote:You will know when working with the boys, whether or not they're ready for it. Start them on the 90 chart and meet only with the boys that complete that part after the 90 days. That way the boys get another 3 mos to mature and the ones that don't finish the chart in time will have to compete this before moving on.

It is up to the scout taking the MB to do the requirements in the order that he chooses. If a scout wants to do the 90 day chart last that should be OK.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:08 pm

I would hope that a counselor working with a boy would encourage starting the 90 day chart first or the badge would never get done and be discouraging rather than an accomplishment.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby diamondbackAPL » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm

Personally, I like doing the 90 day chart first, and do the other requirements at the same time as the chart to save time.

P.S. Moderator please move this to the Eagle required section
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:00 pm

thats what i do first as well. When they are in the mist of doing the 90 day requirement, i have them start doing the write ups for the badge. When they are done with each write up they come to me. I dont make check ups except for every couple of weeks if they have not come to me at all, just for the simple fact of if i should continue to have them on my list of partials or just scrape the badge till they descide they want to do it.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:36 pm

That's where I was going with it too. What I mean about knowing if the boys are ready is that the ones that don't finish the chart - aren't ready?
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby majinbuu27 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:30 pm

I think that it depends on the maturity of the boy's mind.
majinbuu27

Postby OldGreyBear » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:06 pm

If the scout sucessfully completes the requirments, then he must have been ready for the badge. If the requirements are not met, then the badge is not earned, hence not given
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby Scouting179 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:32 am

I find it hard to believe that people who tell a Scout, who is obciously motivated by asking for a councilor, that he's too young to do it. I think this is dead wrong -- especially for something like Family Life. Many school districts teach these same family values in grade school for crying out loud.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby maricopasem » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:44 am

I know this is an older topic but I couldn't help but reply.

1. I believe you are wrong. As has been stated previously, there are no age requirements. To impose any is inappropriate and unfair.

2. And this is the crux of the matter -- there is no requirement in the FL merit badge that is "above" the comprehension of a Scout. When are you going to teach a boy to understand and apply these principles? Age 14? 16? 17 and 9 months? I can't help but feel that's ludicrous. I've been a teacher and ecclesiatical leader for 10+ years. I'm sure there are countless others who could join me in pointing out examples of older boys and men who are a mess today because nobody taught them, or, sadly, they tried to teach them too late.

Speaking personally, I would hope that my two sons would be well on their way to understanding and applying the principles in the Family Life requirements long before they're old enough to join a troop.
maricopasem
Life

Re: Perfect age for Family Life Merit Badge???

Postby Acemaster » Tue May 23, 2006 12:05 pm

EagleBoy62204 wrote:Am I wrong for turning them down and having them wait till they are at least 13 to start the badge... or should I let them take it with me?

Family Life was my 7th merit badge. I was only 11 when I did it. I don't really see how you can be too young for that merit badge.
Acemaster
Scout

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:00 pm

I kinda have had my views changed on when the kids take this badge. I just had my good friends little brother go through the badge with me. Hes 11, and I think answered the questions more throughly than any of the other scouts that have taken it with me.

My troop is advising kids now on what age you should take the badges. Its rediculous. The first year parents come to me and ask me why the adults advise our boys to only focus on requirements instead of badges, and then ask what age they should start doing badges.

I tell them now, as long as they have scout and an ambition to complete the badges and stick with it, the age doesnt matter.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
EagleBoy62204
Life

Next

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required