hiking MB

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

hiking MB

Postby hacimsaalk » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:45 pm

i just got back from my 20 mile hike for the hiking mb. i was wondering if you could count this as A (meaning one) 10 mile hike. it doesnt say anywhere you cant does it?

thanks

(p.s. if this was already posted, please direct me to it.)

p.s.s-sorry that i posted it here. i fogot it was eagle required. :(
Last edited by hacimsaalk on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby hops_scout » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:51 pm

sarcasm mode on

Last I checked, 10 miles and 20 miles were different distances

sarcasm mode off

That would be a little cheap. Why couldnt you just use 2 ten mile hikes for your 20 miler?
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:30 pm

I actually remember the requirements saying something about using a continuous trek for the ten mile hikes. I don't know if 20 miles is a continuous trek, or if they had something longer in mind.

P.S. I'm going to try to earn this badge this summer.
Last edited by diamondbackAPL on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby hacimsaalk » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:51 pm

diamondbackAPL wrote:I actually remember the requirements saying something about using a continuous trek for the ten mile hikes. I don't know if 20 miles is a continuous trek, or if they had something longer in mind.

both have to be a continuous trek, but i was wondering since you hiked 10 miles as well as 20 miles if you could count it as one 10 miler, since you have to hike each 10 miler on a diff. day.

p.s.- i wouldn't try this MB unless A) you love to hike you butt off, and you enjoy it. B) you are in great shape, and it is a walk in the park. C) you have really nice trails, unlike Pennsylvania's trails. it is really tough doing the 20 miler, believe me.
Micah

PA

Life Scout

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby Mrw » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:12 am

Use the 20 miler as the required 20 miler. It cannot be double-counted as a 10 miler as well. The 10 milers are the training for the 20 miler.

The same is true of the shorter distance rides in cycling!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Re: hiking MB

Postby RWSmith » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:38 am

hacimsaalk wrote:p.s.s-sorry that i posted it here. i fogot it was eagle required. :(

No problem. 8)
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby hacimsaalk » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:44 am

RWSmith- thanks for moving it here. :D
Micah

PA

Life Scout

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:49 pm

we live only a couple of hours away from the great smoky mountains national park, and there are over 900 miles to hike there. It shouldn't be too hard to find a good hike.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

One foot in front of the other...

Postby riverwalk » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 pm

When a Scout, my Troop prepared us all for an out of Council hike in a mountainous area. They planned everything well, including our practice hikes in increasing distances, safety, astronaut food (that's what us kids called it, haha). Looking back, I can tell they were really trying to do this right.....except for an interesting point. The Leaders figured our hike at about 10 miles per day, as the Start and Destination sites were fifty miles apart (on the map!). Okay, sounds fine except when you consider going up, down, around, back, up...well y'all know. So the first day was 18, Day two was 22!! We were ready, but it was a big ordeal too. They found trucks to haul the Troop to the next days location, saving one day of effort (remember when you could ride in trucks, woo-hoo!). The week resulted in a 73 mile camp experience, and we got the MB, and the Fifty Miler recognition, wowie zowie, I still remember. :roll: :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:09 pm

The hikes need to be seperate hikes. That means 5 different hikes on different days of 10 miles each and another hike on a different day which is 20 miles. 6 different hikes!
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:23 am

Different days?
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:33 am

RWSmith wrote:Different days?

Yes - they must be different days.

5. Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of at least ten continuous miles. Prepare a hike plan for each hike.*

6. Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in one day following a hike plan you have prepared.*

*The hikes in requirements 5 and 6 can be used in fulfilling Second Class (2a) and First Class (3) rank requirements, but only if Hiking merit badge requirements 1, 2, 3, and 4 have been completed to the satisfaction of your counselor. The hikes of requirements 5 and 6 cannot be used to fulfill requirements of other merit badges.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby RWSmith » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:38 am

:wink:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby JazerNorth » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:55 am

I remember by high adventure hike. It was across the Uintah Wilderness Mountain range in Utah. We spent the winter and spring practicing. One Saturday each month we would hike 10 miles with a loaded to weight back pack. We also hiked 20 miles one Saturday, if you didn't make it the 20 miles, then you couldn't go on the high adventure. We also required all participants to be Eagles since the hike was through wilderness area. The Troop had been planning the hike for 2 years, so everyone knew the requirements. Lots of boys got their Eagles so they could go. It was fun, wet, long, tiring, and exciting.

We had one leader get a sprained ankle the first day. He had to hike the full trip on a bad ankle. It rained every single day. We fished, had to find fire wood, bartered with each other (same food each day got boring), cooked our own meals, packed everything in and out. At the beginning of the trip we were scared boys, and by the end we could tackle the world.

As for the hiking merit badge, we got it well before we even went, since we prepared for the hike in advance.

Enjoy.

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required