which pamphlet to use

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

which pamphlet to use

Postby bruins14 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:40 pm

I went to the scout store, and bought my son the Cit. in the Nation Pamphlet. It has the old requirements in it. Can he use this or should we try and find the new one?
bruins14
Scout

Postby Mick Scouter » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:55 pm

I think we need a MB Advancement Councelor to answer your question. But I will look into it as well. I have an opinion, but that is not policy or the answer. We have touched on this in other forums.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Re: which pamphlet to use

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:21 pm

bruins14 wrote:I went to the scout store, and bought my son the Cit. in the Nation Pamphlet. It has the old requirements in it. Can he use this or should we try and find the new one?
He should use the current requirements. Only those Scouts that started the badge befoe January 1, 2005, may use the old requirements. You should also check back with the Scout Shop and see if you can exchange the pamphlet for the new one, which has more up to date information.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Mick Scouter » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:44 pm

Thanks, PaulSWolf, but some councils don't order or get the new requirement books for whatever reason. Is there a grace period?

This should not be a split post! Just joking!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:00 pm

Paul is right (because he's THE MAN!--Well, him and Optimist.); but, here's the "why"... Personal Managment changes.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Lynda J » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:44 am

I would get the new badge book (2005) and do those requirements. Most of the things in the pamplet you can still use. If yo have any questions on a requirement then you can always come back here.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Mick Scouter » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 pm

I understand.
However, a Scout may, at his option, start the MB using either set of requirements until the new MB pahmplet has been updated. Once the MB phamplet has been updated, the old requirements are officially dead (except to those who have already started) and, at this point, a Scout can no longer BEGIN working on the MB under the old requirements.
Now it becomes gray on the words
new MB pahmplet has been updated
Does updated mean on the shelves of the council? I have not had a problem with this but I just want to avoid one in the future.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:25 pm

Mick Scouter wrote: Now it becomes gray on the words
new MB pammphlet has been updated
Does updated mean on the shelves of the council? I have not had a problem with this but I just want to avoid one in the future.
"Updated" means BSA has published a new edition, with new content. The revised edition is available through the National Supply Division, and SHOULD be available in local Scout Shops. If the local shop doesn't have it, and is continuing to sell the old edition, they SHOULD order new copies and sell out the old ones at reduced prices, like outdated and excess event patches.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Mick Scouter » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:33 pm

Thanks. PaulSWolf, just want to keep those councils in check :wink:
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required