Can you combine requirements?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Can you combine requirements?

Postby Jvass » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:50 pm

We have a scout who did a conservation project as part of a soil and water conservation MB on a camping trip. He wants to apply that conservation project to reqirement 9c of tha camping MB. Anyone have some thoughts on this? Does this scout need to do another conservation project for his camping MB?
Jvass
Scout

Postby commish3 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:11 pm

That is a decision for his merit badge counselor to make.
commish3

Postby Mick Scouter » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:21 pm

I agree. Hopefully, the MB councelor will take in to account the effort that has been put forward. How much or how little. Also did the boy meet the requirement.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby SM270PAL » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:09 am

Have had this before with the requirement in Cit in the Community and a requirement in Communications. Asked a professional scouter and he said that as long as the scout had started both merit badges (has the signed blue card for both) then yes - you can double dip - there is nothing against it. It is up to the councilor to decide if it fits the requirement for that badge.
- Peter -
National Jamboree: 1977, 2005
Scoutmaster Troop 270
Newtown, CT
SM270PAL
Tenderfoot

Postby SoopaScouta » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:28 pm

I think it's perfectly fine, as long as both merit badge cards were signed beofre he did the project.
"Pain is a sign of weakness leaving the body."

Awesome quote, I can't take credit for it though.
SoopaScouta
Scout

Postby evmori » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:18 pm

If he has already started the camping merit badge and it's OK with the MB counselor then it would be OK.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby RedFox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:28 am

This has come into question with merit badges that I have taught before. My answer is based on three questions that I ask myself.

1. Is this project appropriate for two merit badges?
2. Was sufficient effort put forth on this project to cover two merit badges?
3. Was the scout successful in learning the requirements of both badges as a result of the project.

If I can satisfy myself that all three or true. Then I will count the project for both badges. As the people above have said, that call belongs to the merit badge counselor.
Sean
Assistant Scoutmaster - Troop 251
Wood Badge SR-420 - Fox
RedFox
Second Class

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:22 am

In keeping with BSA policy of not modifing the merit badge requirements, I would if the indvidual requirements are met you would have to give credit to any number of merit badges. Case in point would be a current CPR certication would more than cover the demonstrate knowlege of CPR requirements in first aide, swimming, canoeing, etc.
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby evmori » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:29 pm

FrankJ wrote:In keeping with BSA policy of not modifing the merit badge requirements, I would if the indvidual requirements are met you would have to give credit to any number of merit badges. Case in point would be a current CPR certication would more than cover the demonstrate knowlege of CPR requirements in first aide, swimming, canoeing, etc.

If the requirement is "demonstrate" then just being CPR certified wouldn't cover the requirement. The Scout would have to actually demonstrate what he knew.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Mrw » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Every counselor my boys ever saw took a current CPR certification as proof that he had demonstrated knowledge of CPR.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required