Citizenship in the Nation

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Citizenship in the Nation

Postby Patrick Perkins » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:18 am

I was wondering if someone can help me? On the new worksheet Requirement #5 it states to list SIX functions of government as noted in the preamble of the Constitution. But, the old #6 requirement states 5. I was wondering if there is a typo and it should be only five. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Patrick Perkins
Scout

Postby cballman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:41 am

Patrick you need to change your name on the board so that I assume that you are under the age of 18. you could be a target for foul play.

do not use your real name or any semblance of it. please read the general info so that you can understand why these policies are in place.

Thank you
cballman

Postby optimist » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:24 pm

The old #6 and the new #5 are not related.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Patrick Perkins » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info.
Patrick Perkins
Scout

Postby Patrick Perkins » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:01 pm

The old asked for the Five functions of the government at requirement number 6. The new worksheet has the similar question except it asks for SIX functions of the government & the effect to family & community. Isn't it only 5 functions NOT six functions?
Patrick Perkins
Scout

Postby optimist » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:05 pm

Patrick, these are two different requirements. The old requirements refered to functions the government does today. The new requirement is a discussion of the mandates outlined in the preamble when it was written over 200 years ago. The requirements are talking about two different things and are completely unrelated to each other.

Read the preamble. If you still don't get it, discuss it with your merit badge counselor.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Patrick Perkins » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:19 pm

Thank you for your help. I started this merit badge quite sometime ago and am looking at my notes I typed up. I'm starting over with the new worksheet. I have read and printed the US Constitution and I only find 5 functions. To estalish justice, to insure domestic transquility, to provide for the common defense, to promote the general welfare, and to secure the blessings of liberty. I can't find a sixth one as they ask for. The branches are in the requirement #7. I don't have a person to help me in my troop as of yet. I'm doing this at camp this summer and am trying to get all my information ahead of time. I just want to be sure I'm on the right track. Thanks again!
Patrick Perkins
Scout

Postby optimist » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:22 pm

to form a more perfect union
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Patrick Perkins » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:36 pm

Thanks again! Have a great Saturday!!
Patrick Perkins
Scout

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required