Communications-Posing a Question

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Communications-Posing a Question

Postby ciproano » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:14 am

You know the 2004 requirement #8 calls for scouts to plan and implement a Court of Honor or camp fire program. As noted in a previous thread, there may be more scouts needing the requirement than there are CofH or camp fires. Our District has a Merit Badge University coming up soon, and a number of our scouts needed to fill this #8 requirement, so I proposed that in addition to CofH and camp fires, I would accept planning and implementing a Scout's Own service (for Sunday morning at our weekend camp). Technically, this is neither but I felt that it met the requirement both in spirit and in the skill-building it teaches (and supports the fundamental "a scout is reverent"). I ran this by another more senior Merit Badge Counselor and got his enthusiastic support.

So I am asking whether anyone else has considered this option? Perhaps it was national's intent that a Scout's Own fell under the general heading of "camp fire" and did not specifically include it.

Any thoughts or comments? Thanks for your ideas.
ciproano

Scouts' Own

Postby mang_kiko » Mon May 30, 2005 11:49 pm

One option is to approach your district advancement committee and get them to agree with your idea. Once they do, somehow get it in writing. This way you will make sure that there are no problems. I am aware that this matter is small and it may not come back to haunt you, but this is a precaution just in case this minor modification does.

Remember that you may not add, omit, or modify requirements. So if the requirement states troop court of honor or campfire program, you cannot read into the requirement. Only the district (or was it council) advancement committee may do additions or modifications based on circumstances.

Any other thoughts?
Jay Lee
mang_kiko
Counselor

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue May 31, 2005 6:57 am

As a councilor for the badge myself I feel the main purpose of the requirement is to teach the scout organizational skills. Running something like a court of honor can be a challenge. As long as the skills are learned I don't see any problems with it. But I havn't had a scout come about with the new requirements yet :). All of mine are finishing up on old.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby evmori » Tue May 31, 2005 6:58 am

I would agree with mang_kiko. The requirement is specific so anything other than what the requirement states would be adding or subtracting from the requirements which is forbidden.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby scoutchallenge » Tue May 31, 2005 2:42 pm

Co-masters of ceremonies!!! I don't see were it says "by yourself." I would suggest that the scouts plan together - I would expect that the troop court of honor or campfire program would be exceptional. There are lots of co-hosts.
scoutchallenge
First Class

Postby diamondbackAPL » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:56 pm

I agree with mang_kiko. you are not allowed to alter the requirements. However, If the requirement was not so specific, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby BM_Crawford » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:31 pm

diamondbackAPL wrote:I agree with mang_kiko. you are not allowed to alter the requirements. However, If the requirement was not so specific, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

That makes perfect sense

scoutchallenge wrote:Co-masters of ceremonies!!! I don't see were it says "by yourself." I would suggest that the scouts plan together - I would expect that the troop court of honor or campfire program would be exceptional. There are lots of co-hosts.

I really really like this co-host idea. That's a great way to get more than one kid involved so both can earn the merit badge and I do not believe that alters the requirements in anyway, I'd have to check up on it though.
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:37 pm

Co-hosting most likely should not be against the requirements as long as there is clear areas of responsibilities for each co-host that would allow a counselor to determine if the scout satisfied that part of the requirement
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:51 am

And Co-hosting again build team work. It also puts more ideas for a program out there.
I like the co-host idea.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby GonnabeEagle » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:13 pm

Read the requirement more carefully.... COH or Campfire Program. Your option would be great for Service Hours.

:twisted:

David
Star Scout
Patrol Leader
Troop 772 of Marietta, Georgia
GonnabeEagle
Tenderfoot

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required