New Councilor.. Help!!!

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

New Councilor.. Help!!!

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Im new to the whole merit badge councilor thing. I recently turned 18 back in June and being a scout for most of my life and having a pretty fun time with the badges and all motivated me to become a councilor.

I currently am signed up for G. Arts, Family Life and Collections. The adults in my troop... two of them actually are opposed to me doing family life. This is, because I have not raised a family and have not experienced alot of stuff that the badge implies, when in fact I have been through alot more than any "average" kid goes through.

I really want to stick with family life, but with the adults refusing the boys in the troop to let them take it with me, I am getting pretty angry and about to drop from it all together.

What should I do?
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby mikekenney1 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:22 am

Not to discredit your family experience growing up, but you still have much to learn Grasshopper.

You may have experienced many trials and tribulations, but as a father of two Scouts, there is no substitute for experience as a parent.

The objetive of this merit badge is not to teach the kids how to deal with bad situations, it is to teach them thow to cultivate an enviroment where their family can thrive.

Dispite what you may know, they know more. Let your Elders take this one, and certainly dont' take it personally.
mikekenney1

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:41 am

If you are approved by your council as a councilor for a certain MB they really cannot refuse if a boy comes to you.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Lynda J » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:30 am

So much of Family Life has to do with maturity. I don't know how old you are but I have knows people that have raised 2-3 kids and haven't got a clue about how a family should run, and I have known people without kids that do. So having raised a family does not mean you can teach family life.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:30 am

As it is said before - if you have been approved to be a Counselor then a troop should not stop you from performing that duty based on your age. This sounds like discrimination.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Mick Scouter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:34 pm

I currently am signed up for G. Arts, Family Life and Collections

I would like to know what does signed up mean? Have you been approved by the council? If yes then you should be able to be a councelor. However, you should also consider that there are other MBs that you could offer a better insight into the scouting experience.[/quote]
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:43 pm

Did you fill out and turn in a Merit Badge Counselor Application?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required