Councilor Advise

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Councilor Advise

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:38 pm

Im new to the whole merit badge councilor thing. I recently turned 18 back in June and being a scout for most of my life and having a pretty fun time with the badges and all motivated me to become a councilor.

I currently am signed up for Graphic Arts, Family Life and Collections. The adults in my troop... two of them actually are opposed to me doing family life. This is, because I have not raised a family and have not experienced alot of stuff that the badge implies, when in fact I have been through alot more than any "average" kid goes through.

I really want to stick with family life, but with the adults refusing the boys in the troop to let them take it with me, I am getting pretty angry and about to drop from it all together.

What should I do?
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Family Life

Postby MBudd » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:28 am

You need to understand the worry the leaders may have concerning your ability to teach this badge. The worry may be unfounded, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The solution is you must convince the leaders of your ability. Suggest that you co-teach the badge together with another leader who is respected. When you show your ability, that leader can confirm to the other leaders that you have the necessary capability. You also may learn from his advice.

This is the same type of environment that is often used to educate people to become better teached or instructors in industry and our schools.
MBudd

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required