Family Life help

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Family Life help

Postby teepeeayy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Need some help with the "10 reasons I am important to my family" requirement. Other than the fact that we love our son unconditionally, can anyone suggest other ideas that make a 12 year old important to one's family?
Terry
teepeeayy
First Class

Postby commish3 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 am

Hi Terry,

I'm not sure you want our suggestions. First, the requirement is why HE thinks he is important to the family, not why we think he is or even why you think he is (as in your example).

Second since we do not know your family or your son, I'm unsure how we are to answer that question other than to give our own example, and since people and families are unique what would your son learn from that?

I think your son needs to sit quietly and comtemplate the question, and his role as a part of a micro-community called the family and discover his own important role within it himself. After all that's why he gets to wear the merit badge.

JMHO
commish3

Postby Scouting179 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:18 am

Agree with Commish. The Scout, not the parents, need to come up with why he's important. It think it's okay if you point him in the right direction, but the work should be his.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:20 am

Ditto! But I must ask did your son read the Merit Badge Book before starting this Merit Badge?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Lynda J » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:24 pm

Kevin went over the book and listed things like
I help take care of the pets, help cook, scrape the plates before they go into the dishwasher.

But I agree. It isn't why the parent if important. It is why the scout is. It is trying to teach them where they fall in the realm of the family structure.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby troop173fl » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:33 pm

im stuck on that req't too. I can come up with only 4
1 i love my family
2 i do chores
3 i help support us
4 im a role model for my younger brother
other than that, i have nothing
troop173fl
Tenderfoot

Postby Mick Scouter » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:05 pm

WoW, such a great question to ask. That is why Family Life is such and important MB. If a child does not think they are important to the family unit then they will not be able to contribute to the greater good. I encourage you to read the MB book as well as your son (which is a requirement) and have a family meeting. Please, doing the requirements is very important but the understanding and learning experience is much greater. Thank you for your question and please ask this group of Scouts and Scouters to contribute. It is a good resource.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby cballman » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:30 pm

ok boys here is the answer to the question!!!!!

drum roll please

sit down with your parents and ask them to help you with why you are important to YOUR family.

I know it is not what you wanted to hear but I cannot tell you or anyone else except MY son why he is important to our family. this MB is called FAMILY LIFE not internet life so if you could ask your parents for help think about it who is the family that you were given and why. then maybe in about a week you will have the answers.
cballman

Postby Mick Scouter » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:17 pm

Rah Rah or RaW RaW (tying to imitate the bear). I agree cballman talk to ones family. It is not called Family Life MB for no reason.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby diamondbackAPL » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:03 pm

when I earned this I talked to my parents for help because I was stuck. you should try it.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Mick Scouter » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:36 pm

I was not my boy's councelor but I worked on this MB with them and some of the things continue today.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby aflmom » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:58 pm

I know this is an old topic but since I'm a new MBC and will be teaching this I have a few questions.

When I check the requirements for the badge, # 2 states "List several reasons why you are important to your family and discuss this with your parents or guardians and and with your MBC. " It doesn't say to write 10 reasons although 10 lines are on the merit badge work sheet. In addition, the worksheet also says to give a brief summary and leaves a space to do so although the word "discuss" is used on the merit badge requirement sheet.

I don't mean to nit pick, but am trying to prepare to teach this. For most boys discussion is much easier than writing a brief summary.
aflmom
Star

Postby Mrw » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:21 pm

I think it may have actually required 10 reasons when my boys did this badge.

If the requirement says list, it means list. It doesn't say fill out the worksheet though, so if the boy can list them verbally that should suffice. If I were the counselor I would then ask the boy to briefly discuss his points as a check that he understand the points and why he is important and didn't just spout off something he thought you wanted to hear.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Lynda J » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:23 pm

You will find that a lot of the badges have requirements that say discuss. No they do not have to write it down.
I always sit and talk to the boys about these. When we did Family Life last year there were 5 boys working on the badge. We sat down and had like a round robin discussion I threw out the question and let them go. It was astounding some of the things they came up with. One kid said he was important because he was the only one that could get his baby sister to stop crying when she was cutting teeth.
It is good for them to talk about why they feel they are important to their families.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby aflmom » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:11 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the input since this will be the first merit badge I've taught and I haven't observed others teaching them. I feel like I'm just kinda winging it. :)

I put together a syllabus with weekly assignments. Some of the requirements we'll discuss first in class, others they will do at home and then come together for the discussion, and so on. The troop has about 12 boys wanting/needing the badge. I won't do that many at a time and felt 6 would be much more doable. Also, I want to be careful that each of them is doing their own work and not just 'copying' the answers and putting down what eveyone else has.

I'll probably also teach the personal management and fitness badges. I was thinking if the (3) badges that have a 90 day requirement are broken down into 'assignments' it might be easier for the boys. My son has already done the badges so at least I can use his notes! :D
aflmom
Star

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:21 am

Remember, the worksheets are made available for Scouts and Counselors to HELP the Scouts organize their thoughts and materials. They are by NO means required.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required