Physical Fitness Merit Badge High School Weight Lifting?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Physical Fitness Merit Badge High School Weight Lifting?

Postby L Parker » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:13 am

I know a scout that is trying to use weight lifting taken in the 9th grade to qualify for the Physical Finess Merit Badge. (he is now a senior) The coach has never registered or been approved as a counselor. He is not a BSA member either. The young man will be 18 in a month and a half. He has known since 2000 to get this badge completed. He sought a "blue card" in 2003 and obtained the SM signature only. He never requested a counselor in the troop. Several Comm. members relayed to him on several times that he was going to run out of time. He was told by our troop since he had not even started the badge that he would not be able to complete it before his 18th birthday. He jumped troops and now has someone in another troop telling him that he will give him the badge for weight lifting in 9th grade high school. I can't see the legality or honesty in this. I have read and re-read the requirements. It states that before you start any 12 week course that it should be approved by the counselor and the parents. Are there any references to hold this young man to honesty and integrity in now a new troop and right before he turns 18? This is just so unbecoming of Scouters and scouts to me.
L Parker

Postby Scouting179 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:33 am

I totally agree with you. This Scout made his bed and now doesn't want to lay in it.

Is this person in the new troop a registered MB Counselor?

Since he is not in your troop now, it may be an uphill fight. SInce the requirement says get MBC approval before starting, you have a valid case.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Based solely on the limited information given, so far... this kid may possibly, or may not, be legitimately entitled to complete the MB. I don't have all the facts. However...

LParker wrote:He sought a "blue card" in 2003 and obtained the SM signature only. He never requested a counselor in the troop.

Technically, when the SM initially signs a Blue Card for a Scout, he (she) is also supposed to provide the name and telephone number of an approved, qualified MBC. Other than that, when a Scout requests a Blue Card is completely irrelevant. In fact, this is what it's going to (or, at least, supposed to) boil down to... If the Scout can provide evidence to an approved MBC that he completed the requirements, as stated, while he was a registered Boy Scout, then he's entitled to it. Now, with that being said, requirements 6, 7 and 8 of the Personal Fitness MB are quite restrictive, as far as timing is concerned...

Requirement 6 says, "Before doing requirements 7 and 8...."
    Requirement 7 says, "Outline a comprehensive 12-week physical fitness program.... Before beginning your exercises, have the program approved by your counselor and parents."
    Requirement 8 says, "Complete... log.... repeat.... record.... repeat again.... record again.... show.... compare and analyze.... discuss...."

If, and I mean if, this kid did these requirements and discussed them with his coach (BSA or not, MBC or not) and his parents, as stated, and in the required order, then Mom or Dad could get approved as an MBC and sign him off. And, it would be "legal" and everybody would be satisfied. If he didn't, then it'll be a hard lesson.

While I'm at it though, this type of scenario should never happen. We adults are (almost always) just as much to blame when a kid misses out on his Eagle because of a single technicality. He's not supposed to walk the trail to Eagle alone, not even the last leg. It's a team effort from start to finish... the Scout, his parents, the SM, and an "Eagle" mentor (e.g., a Troop Committee Member who is, himself, an Eagle). It's a never-ending process... I'm and old dawg and I still have a Scouting mentor.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Scouting179 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:50 pm

RWSmith wrote:We adults are (almost always) just as much to blame when a kid misses out on his Eagle because of a single technicality.

You make some good points, but this Scout is not totally innocent. L Parker clearly said multiple adults tried to help this lad several times and he basically ignored them; so he is not totally innocent in this.

We just had a case very similar to this, only our lad had to do his project real fast. He got it done 9 days before he turned 18. He also ignored repeated offers of help. Finally, he responded to one adult only and finished in time. Some weeks later he had his Eagle BOR.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby schneizenator » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:06 pm

From what I understand, it is not allowed (or at least discouraged) to say something along the lines of "I completed requirements 1, 4 and 7 for a school project in fifth grade, so they should be signed off."

Also, one time I wanted to take the bugling Merit Badge but our troop had no one to be a reasonable counselor. I then completed the merit badge with my band teacher and she would initial the requirements, where I would take it to my official counsellor where he would take her advice and sign off my blue card
schneizenator
Second Class

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required