Definition of long term camp

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby dparker » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:15 pm

RWSmith wrote:
Scouting179 wrote:....as RWSmith so clearly pointed out, the determination of OA eligibility is left up to the SM.

Monkey wrench time... Ah, that's for OA candidate eligibility.

As far as what is, and is not, acceptable for Camping MB Req. 9a., that's strictly up to the MBC, and not the SM.

There is, of course, one exception... anyone care to hazard a guess?

First one to guess it gets a cookie!
Well, in our council, the Scoutmaster is automatically a counselor for the Camping MB, so he would get to decide in that case. I like chocolate chip cookies, thank you.
David Parker
Committee Member, Troop 92
Toloma Lodge 64
dparker
Star

Postby commish3 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:12 pm

Finding a definition is not that difficult. The OA for instance (which is operated by the BSA) defines long term camp as;

consisting of six consecutive days and five nights of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America

So besides summer camp you could also count participation in the programs of the BSA High Adventure bases, Jamborees, and some training courses as well.

That seems to work well in this situation.
commish3

Postby Rick Tyler » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:21 am

commish3 wrote:Finding a definition is not that difficult. The OA for instance (which is operated by the BSA) defines long term camp as;

consisting of six consecutive days and five nights of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America

So besides summer camp you could also count participation in the programs of the BSA High Adventure bases, Jamborees, and some training courses as well.

That seems to work well in this situation.

I disagree with part of your conclusion. I don't think that a Northern Tier, Philmont, or Sea Base adventure can be considered "resident camping." Other than that, right on. I'm still waiting for National to clarify this...
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby commish3 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:34 am

what part of the definition do they not meet?
commish3

Postby Scouting179 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:45 am

The requirement is clear: 5 nights (not six) and six days of long term
camping under the auspices of the BSA. (The change from 6 to 5 nights of
long term camping was made some time ago to accommodate the large number of LDS Scouts in the movement who were required to travel on Saturday and since most camps operate Sunday to Sunday, they would never be able to get 6 nights of long term camp and, therefore, not be able to qualify for OA unless they violated their religious principles.) So JLTC would clearly qualify since it is clearly only done under the auspices of BSA with carefully selected adult oversight. In fact, I would submit
that given that the youth cook all their own meals, etc, without close adult supervision, operating in patrols, etc. on their own, then JLTC is a far more intense and challenging camping experience that simple summer camp where everything is essentially done for you and all you
have to do is "show up." As a qualification for becoming an "honor camper" I would hold JLTC far above plain old summer camp.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:13 pm

RWSmith wrote:There is, of course, one exception... anyone care to hazard a guess? First one to guess it gets a cookie!

dparker wrote:Well, in our council, the Scoutmaster is automatically a counselor for the Camping MB, so he would get to decide in that case. I like chocolate chip cookies, thank you.

And we have a winner! :!: Chocolate Chip is it! :D
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby commish3 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:50 pm

The BSA advancement policies and procedures do not make exceptions for scoutmasters or any other position. To be a merit badge counselor requires a separate adult membership registration form and a merit badge counselor application form. Not council , district or individual has the authority to alter those requirements according to the BSA.
commish3

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:00 pm

Commish,have we or have we not discussed this before in these forums?

The thread about OA and MB Counselors and the thread that we cannot make up our own rules
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby commish3 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:08 pm

I was confused as about the cookie:) I did not think the exception given was allowed.
commish3

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:23 pm

I'm not sure either I know we do not do that in This Council. They must go to an outside of the troop Camping Counselor.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby RWSmith » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:06 pm

Okay,

It had nothing to do with his council assigning SMs as MBCs for the Camping MB as much as it was the fact that the SM and MBC were one in the same... (which is allowed). Sorry for the confusion.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby hacimsaalk » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:14 am

a long term camp for our troop is 5 nights, 6 days, or something like that.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby schneizenator » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:08 pm

According to Order of the Arrow election requriements, a long term camp is considered at least a 6-day 5-night camp.

Tichora Lodge #146
Mohawk Chapter Chief
schneizenator
Second Class

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required