Citizenship of the World

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Citizenship of the World

Postby Joseph » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:14 pm

"How is the U.S. government accredited to International organizations?" This is the only question my son has left on this badge. I tend to think it is through the UN but after surfing the web we are still not certain of the answer. Anybody know the answer or where I can get? Thanks in advance for your help. Joe & Rylan
Joseph

Postby BM_Crawford » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:30 pm

I'm not 100% sure but possibly due to its humanitarian aid and it's military presents around the world (aswell as it's UN involvement.)
Brian Crawford
ASM of Troop 251
District MBC
BM_Crawford
Eagle

Accredited?

Postby riverwalk » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:35 pm

:roll: Hmmm, well there are certainly a number of ways, though I might not cite examples of official agreements. I would not think this is done through the UN, though it may be. But the UN would be one, and NATO, the EU, the International Red Cross, and other similar efforts. I'll bet you could even suggest the larger Scouting program as well. I consider that since we are a movement with a Charter from the Government (so Officially recognized) and the International group of Scouting Associations and Organizations (200+ countries) kinda sorts ties all together. Perhaps this is a stretch to satisfy your point....but if you have youth working on this, it's another opportunity to educate Scouts on these other Scouts abroad. 8)

Hopefully we'll some useful examples posted. :)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:37 pm

Not sure about this specific question but thought this might be a good thread to pass this on - this site is very helpful and has options for all age groups - Clicking on a part of the kite will link to each age group.

http://bensguide.gpo.gov
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Neat resource

Postby riverwalk » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:13 pm

:) That is a good resource. Old Ben continues to help us, haha. It even made me think of some of the other possibilities to the opening question.

Peace Corps is probably a good one. And perhaps even our Diplomatic efforts are examples......with nations having their Embassies all over.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Re: Citizenship of the World

Postby ASM-142 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:34 am

Joseph wrote:"How is the U.S. government accredited to International organizations?" This is the only question my son has left on this badge. I tend to think it is through the UN but after surfing the web we are still not certain of the answer. Anybody know the answer or where I can get? Thanks in advance for your help. Joe & Rylan

I understand what you are looking for and there are a number of answers. However, the wuestion should be asked by you son who will be earning the badge and not by you who can not earn the badge.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Rick Tyler » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:42 am

It's in the Merit Badge book "Citizenship in the World" in the chapter on Foreign Policy. The short answer is that all official representatives of the United States to other countries or international bodies are representing the President of the US. They are accredited by being appointed by the President (or his representative such as the Secretary of State) to a particular post in a particular foreign country. See the book for the full answer.

The protocols for accrediting representatives from one head of state to another predates the United Nations by centuries.
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required