how long did it take u guys for camping m/b

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

how long did it take u guys for camping m/b

Postby hacimsaalk » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:50 pm

i was wondering how long it took u guys to do your camping merit badge. it took me 1 night, just to get everything signed off. b/c i had already done the camping and we went over everything else.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sat May 14, 2005 1:10 pm

I haven't finished it yet. I've done the 20 days and nights requirement, and I will do the rest at summer camp.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Lynda J » Mon May 16, 2005 2:23 pm

Shane

GET YOUR PAPER WORK DONE!!!!! [90% doing any badge is getting the paper work done. I have two boys who the only thing they lack of about 5 badges is paper work.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby diamondbackAPL » Wed May 18, 2005 2:24 pm

thanks for the advice. I can understand that they haven't done the paperwork yet, because it's boring. Personally, I would rather skip writing the trip plan and patrol duty rosters, and cut straight to the actual camping and all the fun stuff in one of the last requirements.
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Lynda J » Wed May 18, 2005 2:35 pm

But Shane that is simply part of doing the badge. Just like doing home work at school or turning in reports at work. If I don't fill out and complete invoices in my business I can't get paid. If scouts don't do paperwork on badges they don't earn the badge. It is part of learning about what will be necessary later in life.
Kevin takes one evening a week and works on badge paper work. We sit at the dinning table and he does his paperwork and I do my district paper work.

You know if your SM didn't do the paperwork for your rank then you wouldn't receive them. It's just something that has to be done.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Billiken » Wed May 18, 2005 4:33 pm

I actually earned Camping MB AFTER earning Eagle.

For a short period in the 1970s, Camping was NOT an Eagle-required MB.
(But there were 24 total MBs needed for Eagle.)
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Buffalo Bill » Wed May 18, 2005 5:01 pm

Ahh, the 70's. When camping wasn't required and the rat and silverfish was part of wildlife recognition. They almost got rid of the outdoors in Scouting. Thankfully, common sense prevailed.
Bill Britt
Scoutmaster
Troop 509
Hurlburt Field, Florida
Buffalo Bill
First Class

Postby cballman » Wed May 18, 2005 6:16 pm

hey dont forget the first aid req. inthe seventies we needed to learn how to deal with boils and pimples :twisted: :twisted:
cballman

Postby Billiken » Thu May 19, 2005 10:22 am

Buffalo Bill wrote:Ahh, the 70's. When camping wasn't required and the rat and silverfish was part of wildlife recognition. They almost got rid of the outdoors in Scouting. Thankfully, common sense prevailed.

Amen.
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby diamondbackAPL » Thu May 19, 2005 10:26 am

I am sooooooooo glad I am a scout now and wasn't a scout in the 70's. Even though campng wasn't required, I'm sure you all earned it anyway, right?
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby yardhunter » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:21 pm

................I didn't earn Camping within my 7 years as a scout. Even with 39 other MB's & an Eagle award in Oct. 1977.

Sorry.................see ya yardhunter
yardhunter
First Class

Postby Hamish17 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:30 am

Took just over one year. My son just completed it. The hold up was he was one night short on 9a - 20 nights & days camping. Went on every campout and summer camp with the troop plus three nights with family. Finally got the 20th night last week.
Scout Dad 1757
Life - ASPL
Hamish17
Second Class

Postby Lynda J » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:56 am

It took Kevin just over a year. But mostly to get the darn paper work completed.

I was under the impression that the Camping Merit Badge has always been required for Eagle. I remember my brother having to earn it for his Eagle,and that was in the late 60's.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required