No progress for Personal Fitness

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

No progress for Personal Fitness

Postby OA72MBC13 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:22 am

I am counseling a scout who showed no improvement in the running portion of the merit badge. I tested the scout on all aspects before he began and reviewed and approved his training plan. At the end of 12 weeks he provided a log indicating his progress. On it he indicated that he had retested himself every two weeks. When I retested him at the end of 12 weeks he was much slower on the run and showed very little improvement in the other aspects. I can’t say whether he actually did the work indicated on his log. I have my doubts, but “A Scout is Trustworthy.”

The requirement states “Repeat the aerobic fitness, muscular strength, and flexibility tests every two weeks and record your results.” I think that pretty clearly puts the responsibility on the Scout. Although we do meet frequently during the intervening period to go over other aspects of the merit badge I don’t schedule progress testing every two weeks. As part of the requirement I take that to be the Scout’s job.

I have offered him an opportunity to retest for the run only. So far he has not accepted this offer. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but at some point another run stops measuring improvement and an improved time will simply be the result of him getting older. At what point do I require him to redo the 12-week program?
OA72MBC13
Scout

Re: No progress for Personal Fitness

Postby FrankJ » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:35 am

If there is not a good reason why he didn't show improvement, then it seem he has not met the requirements. Is there a underlying health issue? Or is it just you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink? What does the self tests show? Any progression at all?
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby OA72MBC13 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:09 pm

I don’t see and he hasn’t complained about any health problems. He didn’t provide any interim logs for the actual tests, but did list what activities he did over the 12 weeks. As I said, I’m inclined to think he didn’t do the work, yet he says he did. Unless a person exercises regularly, anyone who works a plan for 12 weeks is going to show solid improvement. (The “regular athlete” will have much less room to improve.)

Remarkably, he contacted me over the weekend and wants to re-run. I gave him until year-end on the same course. I told him he’ll have to redo the full program if he doesn’t make it.

And then I’ll likely hear from the parents.

Thanks for your reply. You made the decision clearer for me.
OA72MBC13
Scout

Postby FrankJ » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:34 pm

I try not to give specific advice over the internet because so much of this is situation depended & you never get both sides of the story. :). I have to agree though, I would would expect some improvement even if the requirements were minimally done.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required