Camping MB High Adventure Req - Part 2

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camping MB High Adventure Req - Part 2

Postby oldcamper » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

(A followup to an earlier post)

A Scout is looking to finish Camping MB, needs only the high-adventure component (Req 9b).

9a requires a total of 20 days and nights, and permits only a week of long-term camp.
9b requires 2 (of 6 possible) high-adventure requirements "on any of these camping experiences."

He wants to use high-adventure activities he did at Jamboree (climbing tower) and at a week-long summer camp (whitewater rafting). He has not participated in Troop campouts with high-adventure components.

I feel like the requirement's restriction to "these" experiences means that only one long-term camp can be used for all of #9, but would appreciate any input others have. Am I being nit-picky?

If it changes things (I don't think it does), the Scout is looking to make Eagle very soon, but is not close to turning 18, and our Troop does have suitable campouts scheduled.
oldcamper
Scout

Re: Camping MB High Adventure Req - Part 2

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 pm

IMO You are reading the requirement correctly. The operative word is "these". Whichever one he is using as part of his 6 night long term camp would be the one used for 9b.

It sounds like your troop provides your scouts many opportunities to meet this requirement.

Also sounds like once he earns Eagle, you will never see him again.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Re: Camping MB High Adventure Req - Part 2

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:42 pm

oldcamper wrote:...
He wants to use high-adventure activities he did at Jamboree (climbing tower) and at a week-long summer camp (whitewater rafting). He has not participated in Troop campouts with high-adventure components.

I feel like the requirement's restriction to "these" experiences means that only one long-term camp can be used for all of #9, but would appreciate any input others have. Am I being nit-picky?

requirement 9a wrote:Camp a total of at least 20 nights at designated Scouting activities or events. One long-term camping experience of up to six consecutive nights may be applied toward this requirement....

requirement 9b wrote:On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, ...

9a says that only one long-term camp can be used as part of the 20 night. (Note that is says this requirement.)

I have always taken 9b to mean any of the 'designated Scouting activities or events.' Not that they have to be the exact ones used to make 20 nights. I would let him count both activities even if both long-term camps were not used as part of the 20 nights.

Actually this is up to the MBC. I imagine that the boy has access to more than one MBC. If you don't sign it, he can probably find another MBC who will.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required