Camping MB High Adventure Req

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camping MB High Adventure Req

Postby oldcamper » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi all -

Long-time Scouter and Camping MBC (also Adv. Chair), with a question about Camping MB.

Scout is dual-registered with a Sea Scout ship and began Camping MB.

For the two high-adventure requirements, he wants to use
1) rappelling tower at Jamboree (9b6)
2) sailing trip taken with Sea Scout ship; they sailed all day and slept on the boat (9b4)

I am less-than-thrilled at 1) but suppose it meets the written requirement (if not what I view the spirit of the badge).

I am less comfortable with 2) - not sure how sleeping on a boat compares with "sleep under the stars or in a tent you have pitched". I have not yet asked, but wonder if others think it would matter if he slept "under the stars" on the deck of the boat. I've never heard of anyone refer to boating - with or without a "sleep-over" - as "camping". But, I am a life-long land-lubber. What little I've found on the Sea Scouts website does not mention anywhere the word "camping".

I also wonder whether the boat trip was also being used for a Sea Scout advancement and whether the "no doubling up" rule would then apply, but have not gotten there yet as it will not matter unless this is "camping".

We have had trips in our Unit that are exactly and clearly intended to help meet the requirement, but this boy has not participated (too busy with Sea Scouts).

I confess that I am also worried (and weary) that I may say "no" to much. We have had a couple of boys leave the Troop for "easier" pastures and so am more sensitive than I used to be.

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.
oldcamper
Scout

Re: Camping MB High Adventure Req

Postby Quailman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:26 pm

So... If he arrives at Seabase and pitches a tent the night prior to setting sail, and pitches the same tent the night before returning home... In between he takes a float trip of six days. I might be inclined to count it. A canoe trip would be better.

My son rappeled on the cimbing tower at summer camp one year. He has cerebral palsy, though, so going with the troop to a climbing area was not an option. A couple of other boys in my troop climbed the tower this year to meet that requirement. I think it's okay.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:40 pm

I see no problem with the climbing.

If the scout spent the night on deck sleeping, then it meets the requirement. Two of our scouts sailed down the Chesapeake as part of their summer camp and spent the night topside. If he's inside, then I would be inclined to say no.

Not sure what you mean by the "no doubling up" rule..there is no such rule. Guide to Advancement para 4.3.1.4:

Any work done while a Venturer or Sea Scout can count toward both Boy Scout and Venturing or Sea
Scout advancement at the same time.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby razor_strop » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:08 pm

We sent a trek crew to Sea Base last year, and we gave all the Scouts that slept on deck "camping" credit, as they were certainly sleeping under the stars. There were a few Scouts that slept in the cabin, and we gave them "cabin overnight" credit in TM.
razor_strop
Life

Postby cballman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:25 pm

I also see no problem with the Rappeling part. BUT I do have a problem with using the ship. Because the way I look at the req. and read them. Even if they sleep on the ship, or boat I dont see that in the spirt of the req. I am looking at the req. as going hiking, camping and pitching tents anything that has to do with camping not sailing or boat trips. But that is just me.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby Quailman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:04 pm

"Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent."

"Take a nonmotorized trip on the water of at least four hours or 5 miles."

I'm torn on this one. I almost want to say accept the sailing trip but not the camping nights. Or accept the nights but not the sailing. Or allow both. Or neither. I could imagine people in this forum feeling strongly about any position. Since I don't have a problem allowing the rapelling at a summer camp climbing tower, I don't really see why not to allow the sailing.

[edit] I forgot to add that I agree with smtroop168 about the "no doubling up". It is explicitly allowed.[/edit]
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:33 am

As part of a Sea Scout Ship, how involved was this boy in the trip planning? The requirement says, "On any of these camping experiences ... Plan and carry out a float trip...". If he was along for the ride, but didn't do the planning, then it won't count and you don't have to worry about it.

As for 'camping' on the ship, I would likely count it if he slept on deck. Sleeping in the cabin is surely not "under the sky or in a tent".
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby oldcamper » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks to all who replied.

I chose to contact the Sea Scout skipper. I did not know but he was also an Eagle Scout (among other significant Scouter experiences). He felt that the trip did not at all meet the intent of the requirement, and he attended, so that settled it for me.

And, an earlier reply took issue with my concern about "double-dipping". That reply was spot-on correct... and I already knew that, I just wasn't thinking clearly when writing my post.

Thanks.
oldcamper
Scout

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required