Cooking MB (Changes in 2013; Eagle-required on Jan. 1, 2014)

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Cooking MB (Changes in 2013; Eagle-required on Jan. 1, 2014)

Postby SoCal76 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:22 pm

This is from my council's newsletter

COOKING MERIT BADGE REQUIRED FOR
EAGLE
Effective Jan. 1, 2014, the Cooking merit badge will be
required to obtain the Eagle Scout rank. Here are some
details.

WHAT ABOUT SCOUTS WHO STARTED
WORKING TOWARD EAGLE BEFORE 2014?
Regardless of when a Scout earned the Life rank or began
working towards Eagle, unless he fulfi lls all the requirements
before Jan. 1, 2014 – with the exception of
his board of review – he must earn the Cooking merit
badge to become an Eagle Scout.

WILL THE COOKING MERIT BADGE REQUIREMENTS
CHANGE?
Yes. During 2013 the Cooking merit badge will undergo
a major revision. The process for implementing
changes to merit badge requirements is covered in
the Guide to Advancement, topic 7.0.4.2, “What to Do
When Requirements Change.” The changes to Cooking
will fi rst appear in a revised merit badge pamphlet to be
released sometime in 2013.

ONCE THE REVISED REQUIREMENTS
ARE RELEASED, WHICH VERSION WILL
COUNT?
The new requirements become effective Jan. 1, 2014,
with the release of the 2014 Boy Scout Requirements,
No. 34765. The Guide to Advancement then allows the
following options for the period of time between the
release of the revised pamphlet and the Jan. 1, 2014,
effective date:

• If Scouts have already started on the merit badge, they
may switch to the new requirements (using the
new merit badge pamphlet) or continue with the existing
ones (and using the existing pamphlet) until the
badge is completed.

Scouts who have not already started on the merit
badge may opt to use the new requirements and the new
pamphlet.

• Scouts who begin work on the merit badge before Jan.1, 2014,
may use the existing requirements and pamphlet
until the badge is completed.

• Under the same topic, the Guide to Advancement
goes on to say, “There is no time limit between starting
and completing a badge, although a counselor may
determine so much time has passed since any effort
took place that the new requirements must be used.”
This will apply to Scouts working on the Cooking merit
badge as well.

LET’S SAY A SCOUT HAS ALREADY EARNED
COOKING. WILL HE HAVE TO RE-EARN IT
WITH THE REVISED REQUIREMENTS TO
OBTAIN THE EAGLE RANK?
No. Scouts who complete the requirements for the Eagle
Scout rank after Jan. 1, 2014, must earn the Cooking
merit badge under either the existing requirements
or the requirements as revised during 2013. Scouts are
not required to earn the badge under the new requirements
in order to qualify for Eagle.
Last edited by RWSmith on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ren topic.
SoCal76
Star

Re: Cooking MB (Changes in 2013; Eagle-required on Jan. 1, 2014)

Postby SN95GT50 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 am

Got a few more questions to add to mix.

Currently you need:
4 Eagle Req for Star
3 Eagle Req for Life
5 Eagle Req for Eagle

I assume that the extra one goes into Eagle, is this correct?
SN95GT50
Tenderfoot

Postby FrankJ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I imagine it will be 6 additional eagle require merit badges for eagle instead of making a total of 16 ER badges with the 21 total required unchanged. So yes you are correct. (unless they change it). :?
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 am

SN95GT50 wrote:Got a few more questions to add to mix.

Currently you need:
4 Eagle Req for Star
3 Eagle Req for Life
5 Eagle Req for Eagle

I assume that the extra one goes into Eagle, is this correct?

Yes
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby papabear » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:07 am

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. Cooking merit badge will be a Eagle required merit badge in six months. The new requirements are not out yet. To prepare my troop for this change I have a few questions and/or concerns: 1. Does the work a Scout does for First Class cooking requirement (4a-e) count towards the merit badge requirements? 2.The First Class cooking requirements require the Scout serve as head chef and is to supervise the cooking and cleaning of each meal but the cooking mb states that the Scout is to cook, serve, and clean up after each meal. That seems to contradict the patrol method we try so hard to promote in our troop. Is the Scout expected to do all the work for each meal by himself? 3. The Cooking mb requirements state that the Scout is to prepare the meals for three people. Our patrols are usually 4-8 Scouts on a camp out. Splitting a patrol for the sake of the mb requirement seems to defeat the patrol method also. 4. Cooking mb requirement 4A and 6A does not specifically state the meals have to be prepared on a Scouting (troop) outing. Can these requirements be fulfilled at home, with family, in the backyard, etc? Requirement 7 does state the meals are to be cooked at home (I assume it means indoors with a stove and oven). 5. At different times the requirements mention a lightweight stove, a low-impact fire, a backpacking stove, a trail stove, and charcoal. It may be a bit confusing for some. Does the specific stove really matter? 6. Requirement 5 is regarding backpacking. Would prepackaged dehydrated food satisfy this requirement? 7. In our troop we camp from Friday to Sunday and meals are for Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner and Sunday breakfast. Given the current requirements it would take one Scout 2-3 outings to complete the cooking portion of the Cooking mb and if we practice the patrol method it will take a long time for Scouts to be able to complete their Cooking merit badge. In ten years with the troop we have not had even one Scout attempt this merit badge so our Scouts will have a challenge completing this merit badge in a timely fashion. Comments please.
papabear
Second Class

Postby Quailman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:47 am

That's a lot of questions.

1. It's up to the MBC.
2. See 1, but I would think that he needs to prepare and serve the meal, and "clean up the site", but someone else could be the dishwasher.
3. See 1. If you were the MBC, would you accept cooking for four when it says "yourself and two others". Keep in mind that the menu and food lists required for 3c and 5c say "three or more boys".
4. The menus are for camping and backpacking. The footnote says "*The meals for requirements 4a and 6a  may be prepared for different trips. They need not be prepared consecutively. Scouts working on this badge at summer camp should plan around food they can get at the camp commissary.". That sounds to me like they should be done for scouts on trips.
5. Without looking at the MB book, I'd say that a backpacking stove = a trail stove. Both are lightweight, but a Coleman stove could be used for site camping. You'd want to use a backpacking stove when on the trail.
6. It is up to the MBC to make the call on whether it meets the nutritional requirements. If it were me, I'd like to see more creativity and affordability (most instant meals are expensive).
7. See the footnote about different outings. As for completing the MB in a timely fashion, how long does it typically take your scouts to complete the Camping MB?
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:20 am

According to the GTA, you can use one activity for multiple activities. It would be up to the MBC to decide if the activity met the requirements of the merit badge & who ever signs off on the merit badge to decide if the activity meets those requirements. Often a little extra effort is required so both elements are fully met since the requirements are slightly different.

I know one scout who took a Coleman 2 burner camp stove backpacking much to the derision (friendly) of his patrol mates. I also have friends who have taken aluminum dutch ovens backpacking. I know

The merit badge requirements say "prepare" it doesn't stipulate by himself. So patrol mates helping would not be against the requirements. Although desirable, the meals are not required to be prepared on a outing.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby King Ding Dong » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 pm

To me this MB screams to have a troop MBC. I had 5 boys get partials at camp and was not pleased about the requirements that were signed off. As long as they start before the new book is published they can continue with the old requirements. In my opinion this BC should be pulled right after they cross over.

Yes it can take awhile if everyone in the patrol is doing it at the same time, but they always cook on campouts anyway, right ? I would have all the boys pull a BC now. If you have the equipment I would split the patrol into two teams for cooking on a few outings. I dont think cooking side by side is going to defeat the patrol method. They can still use the same wash buckets and fire and having helpers isnt disallowed.

Normally the boys do not cook for the adults but occasionally we have Iron Chef Campout and the adults are guests of the boys for dinner. On the last one both meals were good but one patrol served their guests first and then ate, the other patrol just dug in and left us to serve ourselves. Who do you think won ?

Encourage the use of a box oven. One is one pot meal, combine with the tripod lashing to make a useful camp gadget for the Dutch oven. That's smart advancement.

On of our more talented scouts watched the sale ads an got some ribeyes on sale. That's one ways to step up the campouts, when one patrol is eating hamburger helper and the other is eating steak. :lol:

Do you have a MSR or other lightweight stove ? The backpacking meals would be good troop meeting activities if your space will allow it. The parking lot maybe. Better they practice first rather than out on the trail. Don't forget to have them estimate and consider weight for the backpack meals.

I would also get each patrol a meat thermometer and review carefully the most recent FDA guidelines on internal temperature. Make sure they know how to use it properly and check multiple parts of the meat. The science says it is not just about IT but also how long that IT is maintained. For instance beef and pork are now 145 not the old 160, but for 3 minutes. So that resting phase is important. Laminate a temperature guide and tape it to the patrol box.

The cooking at home can be anything they want. Have them cook a meal worthy of the whole family. The point here is to actually COOK. Stove, grill, crock pot whatever your family normally eats. I wouldn't accept a frozen pizza, but he could make one. You don't want him moving in with a girl just so he has someone to cook for him. I grill frequently and my 10 year old is now the grill master. It takes lots of practice to get good, so now I just supervise and help out when he gets in a jam. I am still Pit Boss with my smoker but he is learning, he applies all the rubs now on ribs, butts etc. He is considering starting a business cooking and delivering BBQ to neighbors for Sunday football parties. Pay his own way to camp and earn the Entreprenuer MB maybe.

I have an electric Bradley smoker that I love. They have a camping propane model for about $100 that works on low wind days. My next toy. Set it up, go on a hike and come back to yummy ribs.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Postby papabear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 am

More questions about the Cooking merit badge. Does the outdoor cooking need to be with a troop or patrol or with other Scouts on a campout? Does the camp cooking need to be done on a camp out? Does the trail meals need to be done on a hike? Do the meals need to be cooked? Can the meals be prepared during family camping trips or in the backyard as long as the other requirements are met? Although it would be ideal for the Scouts to complete the requirements on Scouting outing the requirements do not specifically state that they must be completed during a troop/patrol outing. Contrast the Cooking merit badge requirements with Camping merit badge requirements 8d and 9a.
papabear
Second Class

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 am

While requirement 3-6 do not specifically state while on a camp out & with scouts, it is a little bit implied. Really something to work out with the MBC. I would be some what flexible on this as long as the intent is there. I would expect them to be prepared in a camping environment rather than an home setting.

It is the Cooking merit badge. So cooking is implied. Typically we eat a cold lunch & often a cold breakfast especially on the trail. So I would except a well designed cold meal as part of a total package, but not for all of them just to get out of cooking.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby King Ding Dong » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 am

You raise very good questions. The final word on the matter is the opinion of your MBC. In my opinion you are doing the scout a disservice by allowing the camping and backpacking meals to be cooked on a family outing or backyard. To easy to run inside to grab something they forgot and not have to improvise or learn from their mistakes.

I don't think the backpacking meals need to be cooked on an actual backpacking trip, but should be limited to the tools one would have available on a backpacking trip. (No kitchen can opener). Scouts typically do not cook lunch with heat, so preparing sandwiches or such should be fine. I wouldn't accept pop tarts for breakfast.

My question is what is the rush ? If you have some scouts that "need" it completed for advancement give them the priority on campouts. Otherwise like many other badges this one takes time to complete. You do follow the patrol method and have the scouts prepare their own meals on campouts don't you?

If your troop has some arbitrary rules like a MB must be completed in a certain amount of time or a scout can only have X Number of blue cards open at a time, I would question the wisdom of those rules, not rush an important MB.

Cooking is an important life skill, don't shortchange your scouts.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Re: Cooking MB (Changes in 2013; Eagle-required on Jan. 1, 2

Postby PaulSWolf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:22 pm

For all those who have been wondering about the status of the changes, I have been told that the new requirements will be released on January 1, 2014, and posted to Scouting.org then. The pamphlet will be released to the Scout shops around the same time, so it should be available early in January.

As previously reported, Scouts will be able to use either the new or old requirements for all of 2014. The new requirements will become mandatory for Scouts starting work on the badge on or after January 1, 2015. However, regardless of which requirements are or were used, Scouts must have earned a Cooking merit badge to earn the Eagle Scout rank as of 1/1/2014 (i.e. if they haven't completed all current requirements except for the application process and their Eagle Board of Review by 12/31/2013).

I can't give you any details, and the changes are substantial, but for those that were concerned that they were moving the merit badge requirements away from cooking at outdoor activities, I can report that that definitely has not happened. They are still focused on and include planning for and cooking many meals, while camping or hlking/backpacking, using camp stoves, open fires, dutch ovens, etc. But they also include discussion of more food safety issues, food borne illnesses, food allergies, etc.

The badge, IMHO, definitely meets the"Eagle required" standard now.

I will have the requirements and a workbook available on usscouts.org as soon as BSA posts them on their site, and they should be on meritbadge.org shortly afterward.

I hope to have the rest of the 2014 advancement changes posted as soon as BSA releases the 2014 BOY SCOUT REQUIREMENTS booklet, but AFAIK, they haven't set a date for that yet.

PLEASE, don't ask me for details, as I cannot and will not disclose any more than what I have already.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby PaulSWolf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:37 pm

papabear wrote:... To prepare my troop for this change I have a few questions and/or concerns: 1. Does the work a Scout does for First Class cooking requirement (4a-e) count towards the merit badge requirements?
The new requirements will specifically state that meals cooked to meet rank requirements will NOT count for the merit badge, and meals cooked to meet the merit badge requirements won't count toward rank requirements.
papabear wrote:2.The First Class cooking requirements require the Scout serve as head chef and is to supervise the cooking and cleaning of each meal but the cooking mb states that the Scout is to cook, serve, and clean up after each meal. That seems to contradict the patrol method we try so hard to promote in our troop. Is the Scout expected to do all the work for each meal by himself? 3. The Cooking mb requirements state that the Scout is to prepare the meals for three people. Our patrols are usually 4-8 Scouts on a camp out. Splitting a patrol for the sake of the mb requirement seems to defeat the patrol method also. 4. Cooking mb requirement 4A and 6A does not specifically state the meals have to be prepared on a Scouting (troop) outing. Can these requirements be fulfilled at home, with family, in the backyard, etc? Requirement 7 does state the meals are to be cooked at home (I assume it means indoors with a stove and oven). 5. At different times the requirements mention a lightweight stove, a low-impact fire, a backpacking stove, a trail stove, and charcoal. It may be a bit confusing for some. Does the specific stove really matter? 6. Requirement 5 is regarding backpacking. Would prepackaged dehydrated food satisfy this requirement? 7. In our troop we camp from Friday to Sunday and meals are for Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner and Sunday breakfast. Given the current requirements it would take one Scout 2-3 outings to complete the cooking portion of the Cooking mb and if we practice the patrol method it will take a long time for Scouts to be able to complete their Cooking merit badge. In ten years with the troop we have not had even one Scout attempt this merit badge so our Scouts will have a challenge completing this merit badge in a timely fashion. Comments please.
The rest of these questions will be resolved when the new requirements are posted in January.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:23 pm

"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required