Cooking MB to become Eagle-required on Jan 1, 2014

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Cooking MB to become Eagle-required on Jan 1, 2014

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:01 pm

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/10/17/cooking-sustainability-merit-badges-to-become-eagle-required/#more-16670
About Time I had to get cooking when i was a scout
Executive Board announced today.

Sustainability, a new merit badge, will join Environmental Science as an Eagle Scout option after its debut at the 2013 jamboree.

Cooking, meanwhile, will become Eagle-required as of Jan. 1, 2014.

The total number of merit badges required for the Eagle Scout Award will remain at 21. In other words, instead of 12 Eagle-required badges and 9 elective badges, a Scout must earn 13 Eagle-required and 8 elective badges.

Why the change? The goal is to "reflect a better balance of the needs of youth and our nation today and in the future," according to the BSA's resolution. Personally, I like it. Keeping up with the ever-changing world means questioning the way things have always been done.

Sustainability becomes more important as our population increases while resources decrease. And a boy who reaches Eagle without skills in cooking and healthy eating habits hasn't become fully "Prepared. For Life." in my opinion. I think the BSA's board got it right on here.
Last edited by RWSmith on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: More Information added
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Re: cooking to be required in 2014

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Finally got this one through the Exec Bd after many tries.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Chris Taylor » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:41 pm

I really can't imagine how a young man could sport an Eagle badge and NOT have Cooking MB. However, I read the MB pamphlet recently and recall thinking the requirements seemed rather mamby pamby... I may just be old school but I was hoping to see "Cook bacon on a stick over an open fire" and I didn't... :wink:

As for Sustainability, I could see building it into Env Science, but a WHOLE MB! BLECH!
Chris Taylor
Tenderfoot

Postby kwildman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 am

I agree with Chris about the sustainablity - This is not ERMB material and i havent even seen it. This should be part of the Environmental Science and not a replacment. I think Environmental Science is a hard merit badge but i think it is one that challenges the youth and is important. I am a bit biased since i am an environmental scientist and work in the environmental industry. :D

Cooking - I am good for that. so if a scout earns Cooking in 2012 and then in 2014 can he swap out the badge for one with the silver border?
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:01 am

VERY glad to hear that Cooking will rejoin the Eagle requirements. Presently it is not a badge that is pursued by the boys, and it needs to be for all the reasons mentioned.

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby FrankJ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:18 pm

So we combine cooking with sustainability and learn how to cook cock roaches & other small plentiful organisms?
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Chris Taylor wrote:I really can't imagine how a young man could sport an Eagle badge and NOT have Cooking MB. However, I read the MB pamphlet recently and recall thinking the requirements seemed rather mamby pamby... I may just be old school but I was hoping to see "Cook bacon on a stick over an open fire" and I didn't... :wink:

As for Sustainability, I could see building it into Env Science, but a WHOLE MB! BLECH!
Keep in mind that Cooking is also undergoing a substantial revision. As Bryan put it "Details: Coming soon (Update expected after 2013 Jamboree), but I’m hearing rumors that it will better incorporate the BSA’s healthy living initiatives."
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Bill Pitcher » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:21 pm

You want to see a new Eagle required MB? At an Eagle BoR I hald last night, one question posed to the candidate was, "Would you change anything on the trail to Eagle or the BSA program?" And his reply was, "Wilderness Survival MB should be required!" His feeling was that it showcases Scouting's skills and isn't watered down like many of the MB's.

What do you think?
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:49 pm

At the 2005 NJ there were a group of scouts having petitions signed to require WS and you see where that went. They had 1000's of signatures.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Re: Cooking MB to become Eagle-required on Jan 1, 2014

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:01 pm

"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required