World... WHEW! Age suggestion.

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

World... WHEW! Age suggestion.

Postby ScoutMomGWRC » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:17 am

I know that all boys are different. That being said, my son is (newly) 13 and an honors student.
Not overly motivated, but more so than his friends who aren't in scouts (& some that are)
He is a great reader ....

4b was way over his head. He picked a and c since you only needed 2, but then for some reason, he went back and thought that he needed b too and started working on that and was a little overwhelmed by it. He had no concept of some of the terms.

So.. my suggestion is that older guys work on 4b or a parent/ counselor help the scout work through the terms international trade, foreign exchange, balance of payments, tariffs, and free trade before beginning this badge.

Good luck and have fun!
ScoutMomGWRC
First Class

Re: World... WHEW! Age suggestion.

Postby Quailman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:40 am

I agree with the first part of your suggestion - this is one that the average scout can get more out of if he waits until he's covering forms of government, free trade, etc. in school. He can use the optional worksheet and meet with his teacher to make sure he understands all of it. It can't hurt his grade in that class.

In spite of my opinion on this badge, any scout can work on any MB at any time before he turns 18.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ScoutMomGWRC » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:39 pm

I know! And some of the boys at 13 are probably prepared to do so.

I didn't imply to wait ... just to be prepared for a bit more of a challenge than may have been anticipated.

Sorry if I made it seem like there should be an age restriction!
ScoutMomGWRC
First Class

Postby lambeausam » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:37 am

Given the content of several merit badges, a scout's experience completing the requirements can change with age. That is one of the things I like about scouting. Each scout can have a unique experience even though he is completing badges/requirement identical to some of his peers. I sat in a CIW merit badge session at camp one day and listened to the variety of answers. It was interesting seeing some scouts that initally were hesitant in discussion, seem to understand the concepts much better as the discussion progressed. Of course, much of that was because the young man leading the discussion was not interested in a cookie cutter sign-off, but rather hearing each individual scout.

This shows up in the handicrafts, such as leatherwork, basketry, etc. As a scout matures and his planning and skills grow, the handicraft projects show the maturity.
lambeausam
Life

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required