Hiking MB - 10 Continuous Miles

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Hiking MB - 10 Continuous Miles

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:33 am

topshot wrote:
AquilaNegra2 wrote:However, I would not count a Scout who did 10 miles' worth of a track loop for a walk-a-thon. Nor did I count the Scout who wanted to have his half-marathons count.

How does this not meet the requirement for hiking 10 continuous miles? Does it imply it needs to be on a non-durable surface?

The Scout has to do no route planning for the track or for the half-marathon. He doesn't need to learn how to cope with the unexpected. He doesn't need to make hike preparations, file a plan, make sure responsible adults know his route, get his gear in order, or even carry ten essentials. A walk-a-thon of 10 miles teaches him NOTHING. A half-marathon, while admirable, is about running, not hiking.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: Hiking MB - 10 Continuous Miles

Postby topshot » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:10 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:The Scout has to do no route planning for the track or for the half-marathon. He doesn't need to learn how to cope with the unexpected. He doesn't need to make hike preparations, file a plan, make sure responsible adults know his route, get his gear in order, or even carry ten essentials.

Fair enough. I can agree with most of that. Thanks.
topshot
First Class

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required