Emergency Prep Req. 8a,b

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Emergency Prep Req. 8a,b

Postby SurvivorFan44 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:57 pm

I am going to be taking E. Prep at Summer Camp in two weeks. I have all of my prereq's done with the exception of 8a and 8b. They read,
" Do the following:
8a. Prepare a written plan for mobilizing your troop when needed to do emergency service. If there is already a plan, explain it. Tell your part in making it work.
8b. Take part in at least one troop mobilization. Before the exercise, describe your part to your counselor. Afterward, conduct an "after-action" lesson, discussing what you learned during the exercise that required changes or adjustments to the plan."

I don't really understand what a mobilization is, and what the point of it would be. Also, considering there are no meetings until September anyways, will I even have the opportunity to fulfill these requirements before camp?
Eagle Scout '10
ASPL '09-'10
SPL '10-'12
SurvivorFan44
Scout

Re: Emergency Prep Req. 8a,b

Postby ScoutMomGWRC » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:10 pm

yes, you can have this done.
Let me ask you this... what is is to make something mobile?

and are you camping with your troop?
ScoutMomGWRC
First Class

Postby SurvivorFan44 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:26 pm

To make something mobile would be to get something ready for travel, or to move it from place A to place B.

And yes, I'll be with my troop.
Eagle Scout '10
ASPL '09-'10
SPL '10-'12
SurvivorFan44
Scout

Postby ScoutMomGWRC » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:28 pm

awesome! Then you understand what mobilization means!
In the case of an emergency, how would you mobilize your troop?
ScoutMomGWRC
First Class

Postby SurvivorFan44 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:38 pm

Mobilize from an event in case of an emergency? As in leaving due to dangerous conditions?

Or mobilization from scattered locations back to a figurative "base"?
Eagle Scout '10
ASPL '09-'10
SPL '10-'12
SurvivorFan44
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 pm

SurvivorFan44 wrote:I am going to be taking E. Prep at Summer Camp in two weeks. I have all of my prereq's done with the exception of 8a and 8b. They read,
" Do the following:
8a. Prepare a written plan for mobilizing your troop when needed to do emergency service. If there is already a plan, explain it. Tell your part in making it work.
8b. Take part in at least one troop mobilization. Before the exercise, describe your part to your counselor. Afterward, conduct an "after-action" lesson, discussing what you learned during the exercise that required changes or adjustments to the plan."

I don't really understand what a mobilization is, and what the point of it would be. Also, considering there are no meetings until September anyways, will I even have the opportunity to fulfill these requirements before camp?

Have you read the MB Pamphlet as there is a discussion of mobilization and the requirement?
Some camps use the MB class as a Troop and do this one. They make the plan and then mobilize for a "lost scout drill" or something equivalent.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
SurvivorFan44 wrote:I am going to be taking E. Prep at Summer Camp in two weeks. I have all of my prereq's done with the exception of 8a and 8b. They read,
" Do the following:

Have you read the MB Pamphlet as there is a discussion of mobilization and the requirement?
Some camps use the MB class as a Troop and do this one. They make the plan and then mobilize for a "lost scout drill" or something equivalent.

Now there is a novel idea READ THE PAMPHLET!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby SurvivorFan44 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:53 pm

I don't own the pamphlet, unfortunately, nor do I have the ability to obtain it until I am at camp.
Eagle Scout '10
ASPL '09-'10
SPL '10-'12
SurvivorFan44
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 pm

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Em ... _resources

Go to this link under 8a.

Interesting you are an Eagle Scout and want to work on an Eagle Required MB at camp. What camp are you going to?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby SurvivorFan44 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Ok thank you!

Yes, I know it's an ER but a friend highly reccomended it. I earned Lifesaving... Two years ago? :wink:

I'll be at Camp Barton, on the Finger Lakes.
Eagle Scout '10
ASPL '09-'10
SPL '10-'12
SurvivorFan44
Scout

Postby jr56 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:20 am

Sounds like a great location for summer camp. Hope you have a good and successful time.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required