Merit Badge Counselors on Maui

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Merit Badge Counselors on Maui

Postby RMM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:24 pm

I have a Scout in my Troop that is spending the rest of the school year and most of the summer on Maui. He is not interested in changing Troops. However, he has two Eagle Merit Badges left to finish the merit badges he needs to get to an Eagle BOR. Would anyone know of a MBC for Communications and Citizenship in the Community that I might be able to contact to direct the Scout to contact?

Yours in Scouting

Robert
SM Troop 6
Yuba City, CA
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

I was reminded that there are 4 things you can not recover:
"The stone after the throw, the word after is's said, the occasion after the loss, the time after it's gone."
RMM
Star

Re: Merit Badge Counselors on Maui

Postby RWSmith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Maui County Council, Boy Scouts of America
200 Liholiho Street
Wailuku, Maui, HI 96793
Telephone: (808) 244-3724 -- Office hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Mon - Fri (HAST, which is GMT -10)
Fax: (808) 242-8856
E-mail: Robert Nakagawa
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 am

RMM wrote:I have a Scout in my Troop that is spending the rest of the school year and most of the summer on Maui. He is not interested in changing Troops. However, he has two Eagle Merit Badges left to finish the merit badges he needs to get to an Eagle BOR. Would anyone know of a MBC for Communications and Citizenship in the Community that I might be able to contact to direct the Scout to contact?

Yours in Scouting

Robert
SM Troop 6
Yuba City, CA

I'm a MBC for both of these and would be happy to go with him to Hawaii to finish these up!! :D :D :D
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RMM » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:27 pm

RWSmith wrote:Maui County Council, Boy Scouts of America
200 Liholiho Street
Wailuku, Maui, HI 96793
Telephone: (808) 244-3724 -- Office hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Mon - Fri (HAST, which is GMT -10)

Thank you. I had already contacted Robert......
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

"The stone after the throw, the word after is's said, the occasion after the loss, the time after it's gone."
RMM
Star

Postby RMM » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:29 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
RMM wrote:I have a Scout in my Troop that is spending the rest of the school year and most of the summer on Maui. He is not interested in changing Troops. However, he has two Eagle Merit Badges left to finish the merit badges he needs to get to an Eagle BOR. Would anyone know of a MBC for Communications and Citizenship in the Community that I might be able to contact to direct the Scout to contact?

Yours in Scouting

Robert
SM Troop 6
Yuba City, CA

I'm a MBC for both of these and would be happy to go with him to Hawaii to finish these up!! :D :D :D

Darn, he left in December and is already there. Are you going in the near future so we can arrange a meeting. I hear the weather is warm and the snorkling is fantastic! :D
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

RMM
Star

Postby RWSmith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm

RMM wrote:
200 Liholiho Street
Wailuku, Maui, HI 96793

:cry:

Aight. Try this.... Go here: https://beascout.scouting.org... select "Boy Scouts", enter "HI" for the state, and then enter his zip code. (Apparently, the "address" and "city" are no longer required! -- all fields were required as of a couple of weeks ago.)

SOME OPTIONS:

1. While he cannot (well, technically) multiple in two Troops at the same time, he can still register with a Crew or Team out there (if he feels like he needs to "get support" from the local council) while retaining his membership in his current Troop back home.
  2. He can transfer (for $1.00) to a unit while he's out there; and then, transfer back to his home unit (another $1.00) when he comes home.
  3. Of course, he does not have to do either of the above (as long as he remains registered in his unit back home). If he could just get with any "approved" MBC (on the local council's list), then when he comes back w/ his signed off BCs... he's golden. Period.

P.S. I've sent an e-mail to a Troop on Maui... hopefully, they'll register and post something here, soon.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Will your council accept a MBC from another council? I don't see it as an overwelming issue, but it is better to ask now.

Why do you need a MBC from Maui? If he has access to a computer he can do most of the research using Internet and submit the work e-mail, Skype or other means. Some requirements may have to wait until he returns.

If he is returning to Yuba City why is he trying to complete Cit in the Community in Maui? I suspect there is more work involved learning about his temporary community than his permenate home.

Hope this doesn't show up double since I tried to submit this at the same time as another.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby RMM » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:45 pm

WeeWillie wrote:Will your council accept a MBC from another council? I don't see it as an overwelming issue, but it is better to ask now.

Why do you need a MBC from Maui? If he has access to a computer he can do most of the research using Internet and submit the work e-mail, Skype or other means. Some requirements may have to wait until he returns.

If he is returning to Yuba City why is he trying to complete Cit in the Community in Maui? I suspect there is more work involved learning about his temporary community than his permenate home.

Hope this doesn't show up double since I tried to submit this at the same time as another.

Yes, Council will accept a registered MBC from out of Council. Interesting. He has partials in both MBC and we did not think of using the current MBC. We will need to check into that. He would like to get these MBCs done before he returns in December one week before he turns 18.
Last edited by RMM on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

RMM
Star

Postby RMM » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:46 pm

RWSmith wrote:
RMM wrote:
200 Liholiho Street
Wailuku, Maui, HI 96793

:cry:

Aight. Try this.... Go here: https://beascout.scouting.org... select "Boy Scouts", enter "HI" for the state, and then enter his zip code. (Apparently, the "address" and "city" are no longer required! -- all fields were required as of a couple of weeks ago.)

SOME OPTIONS:

1. While he cannot (well, technically) multiple in two Troops at the same time, he can still register with a Crew or Team out there (if he feels like he needs to "get support" from the local council) while retaining his membership in his current Troop back home.
  2. He can transfer (for $1.00) to a unit while he's out there; and then, transfer back to his home unit (another $1.00) when he comes home.
  3. Of course, he does not have to do either of the above (as long as he remains registered in his unit back home). If he could just get with any "approved" MBC (on the local council's list), then when he comes back w/ his signed off BCs... he's golden. Period.

P.S. I've sent an e-mail to a Troop on Maui... hopefully, they'll register and post something here, soon.

Thank you
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

RMM
Star

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Has he done his ELSP? If not, how does he plan to meet this requirement?

Ditto for POR!

Ditto, Ditto for EBOR! Unless he has cleared the way for an EBOR with one week's notice, or an extension I foresee problems.

My first challenge as AM was to get a ELSP knocked out with 3 weeks notice because Dad suddenly got orders to deploy. We got the ELSP done and his EBOR was at the local council at their new duty station.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 pm

WeeWillie wrote:Has he done his ELSP? If not, how does he plan to meet this requirement?

Ditto for POR!
Those are quite true
WeeWillie wrote:Ditto, Ditto for EBOR! Unless he has cleared the way for an EBOR with one week's notice, or an extension I foresee problems..
Not true. The EBOR does NOT need to be before his 18th birthday. It can be any time within 3 months with no problem, or 6 months with a written explanation. Only after 6 months does he need approval from BSA. The application doesn't need to be done or turned in before the 18th birthday either, BTW.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:12 am

WeeWillie wrote:Has he done his ELSP? If not, how does he plan to meet this requirement?

Ditto for POR!

Ditto, Ditto for EBOR! Unless he has cleared the way for an EBOR with one week's notice, or an extension I foresee problems.

The original post said all he had left to do was the last two merit badges, so we can figure that the other stuff has been done. And if the boy is coming back within a week of turning 18, I can certainly see why he wants to complete the badges while on Maui. Moving and getting appointments with two MBCs in a week's time could easily be a logistical nightmare!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby ronin718 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 pm

RWSmith wrote:SOME OPTIONS:

You can be dual-registered with two troops. You just need to decide which troop you are going to have your advancements tracked through. My son was dual-registered with an LDS and a non-LDS troop for two years, so it can be done.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Make him a Lone Scout!!!!

Sounds like if he's has partials, he should just continue with his home MBC. Unless he has to Emcee something for Comm Req 8, there shouldn't be an issue.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RMM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 pm

He is a good Scout. His parents are here in CA, and he had an opportunity to study (home school) in Maui with his aunt and uncle and decided to take advantage of an opportunity. He is interested in marine biology and would be difficult to persue that interest in the California Central Valley. He has been a Life Scout for two years, has done his POR (Patrol leader x 2). He finished his Eagle Project in August 2010. His younger brother is a Life Scout and they both are working towards Eagle. He would like to have his Eagle Award in the same Troop as his brother. With Troops in Maui, I suspect it would be a challenge to register him as a Lone
Scout. We are working with the District Advancement Chair and Eagle Coordinator to keep him on track. We were hoping to get him involved in having the opportunity to earn some MBs while in Hawaii and also finish up his partials. Thus the orig question. We greatly appreciate everyone's input and council.
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

RMM
Star

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required