Camping MB, Req. 9 (Camping with Other Pack/Troop)

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camping MB, Req. 9 (Camping with Other Pack/Troop)

Postby slstahl4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:03 pm

My son has been a Den Chief for a Cub Scout Pack for a couple of years. He has gone on a few Cub Scout camping trips (one that was put on by a different Boy Scout Troop and also the Pack's family camp). I am wondering if these weekend camping trips count towards his 20 nights of camping for the Camping Merit Badge. No one in our Troop can give me an answer. He is the only one in our Troop that is a Den Chief for a Cub Scout Pack. I know the requirement says they must be "a designated Scouting activity or event". I don't see why this wouldn't count. Can someone answer this for me??? Thank you very much!!
slstahl4
Scout

Re: Camping Merit Badge 2011

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 pm

The question should be put to the Camping MB Counselor. That's the only person who can answer it.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 pm

slstahl4 wrote:My son has been a Den Chief for a Cub Scout Pack for a couple of years. He has gone on a few Cub Scout camping trips (one that was put on by a different Boy Scout Troop and also the Pack's family camp). I am wondering if these weekend camping trips count towards his 20 nights of camping for the Camping Merit Badge. No one in our Troop can give me an answer. He is the only one in our Troop that is a Den Chief for a Cub Scout Pack. I know the requirement says they must be "a designated Scouting activity or event". I don't see why this wouldn't count. Can someone answer this for me??? Thank you very much!!

Yes they would count for part of the 20 d/n but its not likely they are qualifying campouts for req 9b.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby slstahl4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:18 pm

I would think that they should count toward the 20 d/n of camping. He is participating in a designated scouting activity/event. That is the only portion of the MB that we are wondering about. Thank you your posts!
slstahl4
Scout

Postby cballman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 am

I would have to ask the question Why would he have to use those nights when using the nights he goes out with the troop? If there is a problem that he dont go out with the troop then He would have a few problems doing all the requirements. But to answer your question as a scouting activity Yes they would count. But as a MBC I would question as to why he is not camping with his own troop. An active troop should have that many nights within a two year period. Along with doing all the requirements. If not then I would find out why.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Re: Camping MB, Req. 9 (Camping with Other Pack/Troop)

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:06 pm

cballman wrote:I would have to ask the question Why would he have to use those nights when using the nights he goes out with the troop? If there is a problem that he dont go out with the troop then He would have a few problems doing all the requirements. But to answer your question as a scouting activity Yes they would count. But as a MBC I would question as to why he is not camping with his own troop. An active troop should have that many nights within a two year period. Along with doing all the requirements. If not then I would find out why.

I would ask why the troop wouldn't think it was okay to use these events otherwise they are "adding to the requirements" as they are going beyond the stated BSA requirements and precluding advancement.

Interestingly these events with the cubs would not count for 2nd or 1st Class advancement since they must be done with your troop or patrol.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby cballman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:09 pm

If you look at my answer I answered YES to the question but asked other questions that would help complete the requirements.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:45 pm

As a camping MB councilor, I would count them towards the 20 d/n's, absolutely. But as others have said . . . why isn't he getting them with his troop?
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required