Does a blue card start the MB/# of MBs at one time

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Does a blue card start the MB/# of MBs at one time

Postby Jean9 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi all,
I know these have been hashed out in various posts, but I can't find a definiative answer.
1) Does the blue card start the MB or connecting with the MBC? (I say the MBC but some on our committee say blue card)
2) Is there a limit of how many MBs a scout can be working on at one time? (I say as many as they want, but some on our committee say max of 5 at one time).
The reason we are having issues with this is that some kids have partials that they can't finish right now (ex: rifle shooting needs to complete the shooting and won't be able to in the winter (couselor issue not scout issue)). The blue card issue is because of the time requirements of badges like Personal Management, Personal Fitness, and Family Life.
Looking to folks with a lot more experience than I have to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Jeannine
Jean9
Second Class

Re: Does a blue card start the MB/# of MBs at one time

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:46 pm

There is NO limit on how many MBs a Scout can be working on at any time. Imposing a limit is wrong and counter productive.

As for when a Scout "Starts" a badge, there really is no reason to define a "Starting date". Certain requirements have starting dates (i.e the 13 week budget period for Personal Management, the 12 week training period for Personal Fitness, etc.), but those do not necessarily define when the Scout starts working on the badge.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:20 pm

1) Neither although most would say when the SM signs the front of the Blue card. The reality is when the scout meets with the MBC since he can't earn the MB without meeting with him/her. The other reality is the MB is started anytime the scout completes one of the requirements and the MBC accepts that work. The best example is Camping MB where the 1st campout the BOY scout goes on starts his path to completing the MB. At this point the scout probably doesn't even know what a MB or blue card is but is still counts!

2) No limit. Some partials never get done. Remember the MB program is designed to have the scout get a chance to explore over 120 different areas. He may start one and decide it really didn't interest him as much as he thought it would so he stops working on it. He may pick it up again whenolder, but maybe not.

Hope this helps.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:41 pm

I am a Coin Collecting MB counselor. I have never asked when a boy assembled his collection, as long as it meets the requirements set forth in the MB. Maybe he started collecting state quarters as a Cub Scout. As long as he retrieved the collection from the drawer to show me after he became a boy scout, I accept it.

And Blue Cards? pshaw! I keep a supply to give to a scout when he meets with me. For Coin Collecting I generally only meet face to face once, unless the boy is on my troop. When he contacts me I make sure he has the current requirements. He is to complete them (doesn't need to write all of them down but he may), and call me when he is done. Of course he can call me any time he has a question.

As for when it started, no one keeps a record of that in our troop AFAIK. Only the blue cards have the date signed by the SM, but if we ever needed to review them it would be for the signature and finish date.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm

While the SM starts the MB process by signing a "blue card", and giving the Scout the name/contact info for a Counselor, what activities are counted toward merit badge requirements, and when the activities are done, is entirely up to the Merit Badge Counselor.

As long as the requirements are completed as written, the Counselor has the final say on weather or not a MB is completed, not the SM, or the Committee.

Per the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures -

"The steps to follow in the merit badge program are outlined in the current Boy Scout Requirements. This book lists the requirements a Scout meets to earn each of the more than 100 merit badges that are available. Scouts must be tested individually, and they must meet all the requirements. No additional requirements may be added."
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Remember Blue Cards are not required
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby evmori » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:07 am

wagion is correct!

But since blue cards are used, the MB starts when the SM signs the card initially.

There is no limit on how many MB's a Scout can work on at one time and there is no limit on ho many MB's a Scout can work on with one counselor.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required