What to write about?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

What to write about?

Postby hacimsaalk » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:58 pm

I need help with requirement 5 on Cit. in Nation. I have no clue what to write about. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:07 pm

WE just had a national election. Surely there is an issue that was brought up during the election that you could write your senator on. There is Social Security, The Iraq issue, The Military Draft etc.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby commish3 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:10 am

That's not an unusual question for a boy to ask hacimsaalk,and one that deserves serious counsel. Which brings to mind someone emminently qualified to help you. Your merit badge counselor. Have you discussed this with your counselor yet? This is exactly the thing that they are they for. Give him or her a call and ask to meet with them to discuss any questions you might have as you work on your merit badge.
commish3

Postby Guneukitschik » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:00 am

Try reading any newspaper.....
Guneukitschik

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:03 am

One thing I tell all of my scouts is before you start a merit badge you must read the MB Book. Reading the book helps lay the ground work for the MB. After they read the book we discuss the requirements and then give them a list of counselors to select from. They make contact etc. I have found that even though they read they do not understand what is presented in the MB Book. Thats what you need to do Read the book and discuss what you read with your leader or your counselor and how to apply it.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby schneizenator » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:11 pm

If you are looking for a response from whoever you are writing too, make sure to mention that you are working on the Cit. in Nation Merit Badge, age, etc. as well as adressing it respectfully (again see the MB book) such as

The Honorable Representative Baldwin
schneizenator
Second Class

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:06 pm

go to congress.org. there you can see how senators voted on certain issues and e-mail them to fulfill this requirement.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Scout55 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:02 pm

Gas prices
Scout55
Scout

Postby Chief J » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:33 pm

My son is currently doing Citizenship in the Nation. He was wondering what to write about. As we discussed, we talked about Senate Bill 642 "Support our Scouts Act of 2005". As we researched this, we discovered that the bill is currently in the Senate Judiciary Committee and one of our State Senators, Senator Specter R-PA, is the Chair of this committee.

Well, that has sparked my sons interest, and that is the subject of his letter. Seeking support for this piece of legislation.

Best Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby hacimsaalk » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:11 am

i got the MB about 6 monthes ago. i wrote Phil English about a bill that would prevent law suits against firearms manufactuers when their products were used in a crime.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required