Physical Fitness - What constitutes a program

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Physical Fitness - What constitutes a program

Postby jnlkds » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:37 am

I have a boy who has identified what I believe is inadequate of a program for physical fitness where he has identified that he will

Run every day
Do pushups,
do Situps
and stretch.

I believe that boys should need to develop a program with a purpose and it could focus or be in any of the following [conditioning, strength, endurance, general fitness].

The program should have a period of ramp-up, build, execution and stablization. An example is that it should include different types of running. different distances over different times. and it should be or scheduled out - possibly like what Galloway would do for a marathon - whatever..

the same could be done for working on muscles.. understanding the approach of opposites.. strength vs endurance.. rest days..

Given this.. what do the rest of you consider reasonable?
jnlkds
Scout

Re: Physical Fitness - What constitutes a program

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 am

jnlkds wrote:I have a boy who has identified what I believe is inadequate of a program for physical fitness where he has identified that he will

Run every day
Do pushups,
do Situps
and stretch.

I believe that boys should need to develop a program with a purpose and it could focus or be in any of the following [conditioning, strength, endurance, general fitness].

The program should have a period of ramp-up, build, execution and stablization. An example is that it should include different types of running. different distances over different times. and it should be or scheduled out - possibly like what Galloway would do for a marathon - whatever..

the same could be done for working on muscles.. understanding the approach of opposites.. strength vs endurance.. rest days..

Given this.. what do the rest of you consider reasonable?

First Welcome to the Forum.

I assume this scout is working on Personal Fitness MB? If so tell him to look at pages 68-76 in the MB pamphlet ( these are the books the BSA puts out to assist the scout in completing his MB :wink: )

Then ask him again, if he thinks his plan is adequate.

Given some of the youth fitness today, I would be happy if they would all do at least his plan!!! :(
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby alex gregory » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 am

It's a merit badge, not training for a marathon. What's "inadequate" about running every day, push ups, sit ups, and stretching? Frankly, compared to what most youth are doing the suggested plan is pretty awesome.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby razor_strop » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:58 am

Give him some suggestions on how to vary his program so he doesn't get bored. Explain (or better yet, show) variations of the push-up and core exercises, convince him to work on pull ups (since that's part of the Pers Fit MB test), explain the reasons behind doing different running routines (LSD, sprints, hills/stairs, intervals), ask him if he considered riding a bike or swimming or hiking for his cardio program...in the end it's his decision, but offer him simple suggestions on how he can keep his program interesting.
razor_strop
Life

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required