Cutting and pasting for requirements

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Cutting and pasting for requirements

Postby alex gregory » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:55 am

Jean9 wrote:Hi all,
. . . [I] have given a "0" for an essay that I knew had been cut and pasted. . . . I encourage my students and the scouts to research, but then to take what they have learned and put it in their own words.
Thanks again for reminding me that it isn't the filling out of the worksheet that is most important, but the molding of the character.
Jeannine

Remember that there is no "essay" requirement for any of the Citizenship merit badges. You probably should not even require the use of a merit badge worksheet. I encourage the use of worksheets as an oprganizational tool, but there is no basis for my requiring worksheets, essays or other written submission unless specifically required by the merit badge.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby razor_strop » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 am

alex gregory wrote:I encourage the use of worksheets as an oprganizational (sic) tool, but there is no basis for my requiring worksheets, essays or other written submission unless specifically required by the merit badge.

Exactly. "Discuss" implies a conversation, which provides the counselor with the ability to guide the discussion in order to force the Scout to think, analyze and provide their own answers. "What do you think that means", "Why do you feel that is important", "How does that affect how you live your life" are tough questions to answer with just 'cut & paste' responses.
razor_strop
Life

Postby mhjacobson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:37 pm

As a MB counselor, I often have scouts arrive with the MB wordsheets completed and neatly typed out. Boy, are they surprised when I ask them to put the worksheets away (unless there is a log as in Personal Fitness that needs to be reviewed) and then get involved in a discussion of the requirements for the badge with the scout. It is amazing how many times I have discovered that the scout does not know the answers to the questions for the MB, and is not able to 'discuss' what they need to discuss in order to be successful. More often than not, they take their neat MB worksheet back with them on their way home, only to have to return after a week or two in order to earn ther badge.

I wish that the worksheets came with a disclaimer (on every page) that they are for the purpose of assisting the scout to organize their work on the path towards earning the badge, and not a homework assigned to be turned in a graded.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:57 pm

mhjacobson wrote:As a MB counselor, I often have scouts arrive with the MB wordsheets completed and neatly typed out. Boy, are they surprised when I ask them to put the worksheets away (unless there is a log as in Personal Fitness that needs to be reviewed) and then get involved in a discussion of the requirements for the badge with the scout. It is amazing how many times I have discovered that the scout does not know the answers to the questions for the MB, and is not able to 'discuss' what they need to discuss in order to be successful. More often than not, they take their neat MB worksheet back with them on their way home, only to have to return after a week or two in order to earn ther badge.

I wish that the worksheets came with a disclaimer (on every page) that they are for the purpose of assisting the scout to organize their work on the path towards earning the badge, and not a homework assigned to be turned in a graded.

Agree....Sometimes I have a question on who really filled out the worksheet and it's readily apparent when you ask them to discuss it with you.

I use the same criteria when I review EPs. I don't open the workbook until they fully explain what their project is.

On EBORs I ask them to explain their EP execution process. We recently had one where the scout had no idea what the project was all about. Seems Mom did the project and also kept the left over donations. Really Sad.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby deweylure » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:57 am

i have had scouts show up with cut and paste articles. i stick with the following guidelines.
If it says discuss we discuss. If the requirement says right a report then I do not accept a cut and paste article as this is a
serious problem in the schools today.Plagiarism I explain to the scouts the reasons why and turn it into a learning experience.
deweylure
Eagle

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required