Emergency Prep - Why not prepare for Earthquake?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Emergency Prep - Why not prepare for Earthquake?

Postby alex gregory » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:59 pm

After the horrible disaster in Haiti our troop has been spending some time talking about how to prepare for and recover from a major earthquake, particularly since Portland Oregon could be due for a big one at anytime. Working with the emergency preparadness MBC I was amazed that earthquakes do not make the list of natural disasters in requirement 2(b). That's just weird. Is there a reason why a natural disaster that has occurred in this country with considerable regularity and threatens the lives of tens of millions (particularly on the Pacific Coast) does not even merit an honorable mention on the emergency preparadness merit badge?

Regardless, a tragedy like that which just occurred is a good time to consider how ready you and your family are for a disaster that can strike anytime.
alex gregory
Eagle

Re: Emergency Prep - Why not prepare for Earthquake?

Postby Quailman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 pm

But are you ready for a hurricane? We were lucky grocery stores were open after a few days last year when our three days of emergency supplies ran out. We got power back after 16 days (Ike).

Seeing what the earthquake victims are going through we feel luckier every day.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby SoCal76 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 pm

I agree that earthquake preparedness should be part of Emergency Preparedness. Earthquakes in the US can happen outside the seismically active West Coast. The most powerful earthquake in US history occurred in the Midwest in New Madrid, MO. How many of you in the Show-Me State are prepared for an earthquake?

Hurricanes are impossible along the West Coast - the ocean water is too cold. Tornadoes are possible, just last week some twisters appeared in Southern California. Note, though, that tornadoes in California are rare, are short-lived, and don't do a lot of damage other than knock down some trees and take someone's roof off their house.
SoCal76
Star

Postby ronin718 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 am

SoCal76 wrote:I agree that earthquake preparedness should be part of Emergency Preparedness. Earthquakes in the US can happen outside the seismically active West Coast. The most powerful earthquake in US history occurred in the Midwest in New Madrid, MO. How many of you in the Show-Me State are prepared for an earthquake?

The folks in Alaska might disagree with you on that statement. I'd agree that the series of 1811-1812 quakes in the New Madrid area were very potent and quite devastating to the region, but they didn't match the 9.2 magnitude of the 1964 Prince William Sound quake.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 am

When my brother in law lived in LA, he had a had an emergency kit for earthquakes. It had food & water included. He considered it kinda a Duh. And he was never a Boy Scout. Of course the kit is not much use if it is underneath a pile of rubble. :( Discussion of local needs should be a part of the emergency kit content discussion. Of course when you add food & water to a kit, it add substantially to the cost.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 pm

alex gregory wrote:After the horrible disaster in Haiti our troop has been spending some time talking about how to prepare for and recover from a major earthquake, particularly since Portland Oregon could be due for a big one at anytime. Working with the emergency preparadness MBC I was amazed that earthquakes do not make the list of natural disasters in requirement 2(b). That's just weird. Is there a reason why a natural disaster that has occurred in this country with considerable regularity and threatens the lives of tens of millions (particularly on the Pacific Coast) does not even merit an honorable mention on the emergency preparadness merit badge?

Regardless, a tragedy like that which just occurred is a good time to consider how ready you and your family are for a disaster that can strike anytime.

Can't answer your question for sure but there are other natural disasters that aren't listed either such as Volcanos (PACNORWEST) and Tsumanis (HAWAII). Also unnatural disasters such as HAZMAT spills, airplane crashes and Terrorism aren't listed either.

You can send your input to National for the next update of the BSA requirements.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ronin718 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 am

Perhaps this is one of those instances where common sense applies. Not everything is going to be laid out for us, and I highly doubt anyone would question a prep for common disasters for your area.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby alex gregory » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:10 pm

ronin718 wrote:Perhaps this is one of those instances where common sense applies. Not everything is going to be laid out for us, and I highly doubt anyone would question a prep for common disasters for your area.

I think a foreseeable disaster that threatens the entire left coast which contains 47+ million people (about 15% of the US population) might warrant more specific inclusion in the Emergency Prep MB.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby SoCal76 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:52 pm

An earthquake is much more likely than many of the other disasters mentioned in Req 2.
SoCal76
Star

Postby deweylure » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 am

I am not saying add to the requirements,unless National does it. It is possible to discuss Earthquakes. It is an added side note that does not enter into if the scout earns the badge or not. I feel this applies as in an emergency Thinking is critical.

After all earning a meritbadge learning.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Although I live less than 5 miles from the biggest fault on the east coast, earth quakes are on the bottom of the list of things that worry me, If I lived where they where more of a issue, I would certainly discuss them as part of this merit badge.

Maybe when it is revised it will be added as an option it 2.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:09 pm

My 20+ inches of snow in my driveway this weekend doesn't qualify either. I'm sending in a change tomorrow. :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby SoCal76 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:15 pm

There was an earthquake in Illinois. Tiny by California standards. Still...
SoCal76
Star

Postby deweylure » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 pm

I definitely would like to have earthquake mentioned. I live 40 miles from the epicenter of the earthquake which occurred in Illinois early today. my dog noticed.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 am

deweylure wrote:I definitely would like to have earthquake mentioned. I live 40 miles from the epicenter of the earthquake which occurred in Illinois early today. my dog noticed.

Dewey

Write up your proposal and send it in.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required