Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby ranovak » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Requirement 3 says to attend a city or town council, school board, etc., meeting. Our local city council puts videos of all council meetings on their website, indexed to their written agenda. One of the boys asked if it were OK to view a city council meeting over the web on the video and then make his report for this requirement based on the topic debate in that meeting, as an alternative to actually attending the meeting in person. Several other scouts were also interested in that. None of the boys has any physical or other conditions that would preclude them from attending a meeting in person.

After viewing the city website and one of the videos, I would be inclined to allow them to do this for Req. 3, except for the wording that says "Attend...". Can anyone offer advice?
ranovak
Scout
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:16 pm

ATtend means attend
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby evmori » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:05 am

Yep. Attend means go to the meeting & sit down & watch & take notes.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Greater Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby ThunderingWind » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 am

Most MBCs around here also require the boys to wear thier uniform (if they own one, and most know who does/does not).

I know, cannot add to or subtract from the requirements. But the methode of the Uniform is getting a big push in this area.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: longer affiliated with the BSA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:36 am

ranovak wrote:Requirement 3 says to attend a city or town council, school board, etc., meeting. Our local city council puts videos of all council meetings on their website, indexed to their written agenda. One of the boys asked if it were OK to view a city council meeting over the web on the video and then make his report for this requirement based on the topic debate in that meeting, as an alternative to actually attending the meeting in person. Several other scouts were also interested in that. None of the boys has any physical or other conditions that would preclude them from attending a meeting in person.

After viewing the city website and one of the videos, I would be inclined to allow them to do this for Req. 3, except for the wording that says "Attend...". Can anyone offer advice?


First...welcome to the forum.

To me attend means "be present at". I know technology has come along way but this MB requirement is meant for the scout to see the personal dynamics of this kind of meeting "live".

Have the scouts go as a group (we went as a group of 7 in uniform a year or so ago) and trade ideas on what each one heard or thought they heard. They can also use this as a double dip for Communications MB req #5.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: New Birth of Freedom Council Carlisle PA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:54 am

smtroop168 wrote:
ranovak wrote:Requirement 3 says to attend a city or town council, school board, etc., meeting. Our local city council puts videos of all council meetings on their website, indexed to their written agenda. One of the boys asked if it were OK to view a city council meeting over the web on the video and then make his report for this requirement based on the topic debate in that meeting, as an alternative to actually attending the meeting in person. Several other scouts were also interested in that. None of the boys has any physical or other conditions that would preclude them from attending a meeting in person.

After viewing the city website and one of the videos, I would be inclined to allow them to do this for Req. 3, except for the wording that says "Attend...". Can anyone offer advice?


First...welcome to the forum.

To me attend means "be present at". I know technology has come along way but this MB requirement is meant for the scout to see the personal dynamics of this kind of meeting "live".

Have the scouts go as a group (we went as a group of 7 in uniform a year or so ago) and trade ideas on what each one heard or thought they heard. They can also use this as a double dip for Communications MB req #5.

Wow you mean you can actually do one thing and count it twice? how cool is that? :lol:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby evmori » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:21 am

Yes they can providing the Communications MB counselor will accept a requirement that is completed prior to the badge being started.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Greater Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 am

evmori wrote:Yes they can providing the Communications MB counselor will accept a requirement that is completed prior to the badge being started.

Ed I was being funny. I have heard so many times from SM's that no you cannot do that and I always say yes you can.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby alex gregory » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:34 pm

I'll join in the chorus that "attend" means attend, not watch on the screen.

I take a group of Scouts to State court every year to satisfy CIC Req. 3. They guys attend a couple of court hearings, visit with a judge, and then over lunch we talk about it. Going to court also fits in well with a lot of the discussion topics that are required for Cit. in Nation Req. 4
alex gregory
Eagle
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Cascade Pacific Council

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:17 pm

evmori wrote:Yes they can providing the Communications MB counselor will accept a requirement that is completed prior to the badge being started.


The classic example of using one for many is the CPR requirement which is found in at least 10 different MBs. So what's that called "deca-ruple"? :?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: New Birth of Freedom Council Carlisle PA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby evmori » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Yeah I know you were wagon! My response was actually for everyone else!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Greater Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Ranovak
The purpose of the Advancement Program is to teach a skill and or reinforce a Scout Value. Too many Scouts and Leaders lose sight of that in their effort to make Advancement effortless and convenient. Active citizenship in neither. Today is election day in many locales, including Sierra Vista, AZ. I had to take time out of my busy schedule to vote. I voted in part because over 40 years ago the importance of active citizenship was reinforced when I earned Citizenship in the Community. Technology to record city council meetings for internet viewing has been arround for quite some time. Citizenship in the Community MB has been revised at least 3 times in the last 10 years yet the requirement to ATTEND a meeting has remained at least 40.

There is a lot that goes on in a meeting besides what the camera records. There are: off camera comments and expressions; audience reaction; slides, charts and models used by speakers; and audio and visual problems. Non-attendance doesn't include that information.

We attend city council meetings as a troop. Our younger Scouts can complete Flag Ceremony, meet with a public official, Communications MB, Cit in the Community... It also reminds the community that Scouting is an active part of the community.

There are differences in the Cit in the Community and Communications meeting requirements. If you are going to double dip, you must meet each element of each requirement. The MB book explains it all!
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:06 pm

WeeWillie wrote:There are differences in the Cit in the Community and Communications meeting requirements. If you are going to double dip, you must meet each element of each requirement. The MB book explains it all!


Agree with Wee....Here are the two requirements. They are pretty darn close.

CIT IN COMM #3 Do the following:
a. Attend a city or town council or school board meeting, or a municipal; county, or state court session.
b. Choose one of the issues discussed at the meeting where a difference of opinions was expressed, and explain to your counselor why you agree with one opinion more than you do another one.


COMMS #5 Attend a public meeting (city council, school board, debate) approved by your counselor where several points of view are given on a single issue. Practice active listening skills and take careful notes of each point of view. Present an objective report that includes all points of view that were expressed, and share this with your counselor.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: New Birth of Freedom Council Carlisle PA

Re: Citizenship in the Community - Req. 3 Meeting attendance

Postby evmori » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:12 am

smtroop168 wrote:
WeeWillie wrote:There are differences in the Cit in the Community and Communications meeting requirements. If you are going to double dip, you must meet each element of each requirement. The MB book explains it all!


Agree with Wee....Here are the two requirements. They are pretty darn close.

CIT IN COMM #3 Do the following:
a. Attend a city or town council or school board meeting, or a municipal; county, or state court session.
b. Choose one of the issues discussed at the meeting where a difference of opinions was expressed, and explain to your counselor why you agree with one opinion more than you do another one.


COMMS #5 Attend a public meeting (city council, school board, debate) approved by your counselor where several points of view are given on a single issue. Practice active listening skills and take careful notes of each point of view. Present an objective report that includes all points of view that were expressed, and share this with your counselor.


And both can be fulfilled by attending one meeting providing the Scout is already working on both MB's or the MB counselor is willing to accept work that was completed prior to the Scout starting the MB.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Greater Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA


Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest