Outlook for Citizenship MBs not good . . .

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Outlook for Citizenship MBs not good . . .

Postby fgoodwin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 pm

According to a recent study of civics literacy by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute:

* Fewer than half of all Americans can name all three branches of government, a minimal requirement for understanding America’s constitutional system.

* Only 24% of college graduates know the First Amendment prohibits establishing an official religion for the United States.

* Nearly a third of the respondents failed to name two of America's enemies in World War Two; 22% of college graduates did not answer that question successfully.

* 54% of respondents (and only 44% of 18- to 34-year-olds) knew that Congress shares foreign policy power with the President; nearly a quarter (and almost a third of elected officials!) believed Congress shares such power with the United Nations.

* Thirty percent of elected officials do not know that “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” are the inalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence.

* Only 21% of those surveyed know that the phrase “government of the people, by the people, for the people” comes from Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.

* Although Congress has voted twice in the last eight years to approve foreign wars, only 53% of those surveyed know that the power to declare war belongs to Congress. Almost 40% incorrectly believe it belongs to the President.

* Less than one in five of those surveyed know that the phrase “a wall of separation” between church and state comes from a letter by Thomas Jefferson. Almost half incorrectly believe it can be found in the Constitution.

http://www.isi.org/
fgoodwin
First Class

Re: Outlook for Citizenship MBs not good . . .

Postby evmori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:12 am

Theses stats have been posted for decades! Old news.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Billiken » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:20 am

It would be interesting to see how many natural-born Americans could pass the test people take to become U.S. citizens.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby wetsmith » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:49 am

Decades! .... hmm.

Try the test for yourself, not so easy. I only scored an 80% (coupla trickies...).

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/re ... /quiz.aspx
wetsmith
Scout

Postby Quailman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:16 am

Woo-hoo! 90% Maybe I should be a MBC!

Thanks for the link.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby cballman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:28 am

I might not be a good MBC. I scored 72.73%. But then again I have been out of school now for about 29 years. So not to bad for a old goat.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby Mrw » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:35 pm

93.94%, although I would have answered at least one other question wrong had I not read the original post first.

(And for the record, I am a chemist, not a historian.)
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby fgoodwin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:13 pm

I got 32 out of 33 (I missed the FDR vs SCOTUS question).

Ed, I may be wrong, but I think the level of civic knowledge was somewhat higher back in the 50s and 60s and has steadily declined over time. I can't point to a specific date, but I would disagree that this news is "decades" old. The study itself is only a year old.

If you have evidence to the contrary, by all means, please share . . .
fgoodwin
First Class

Postby scoutaholic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:30 pm

90+ percent. I don't remember the exact number from last night.

There were a couple historical questions that I didn't know, but being familiar with government and the constitution, could guess correctly.

There was at least 1 question about the politics surrounding the abortion debate (the details of the answer were beyond me). Definately not something I usually cover in citizenship MBs.

There were a few questions at the end of the quiz that got deeper into economics than I have studied. Even some educated guessing didn't help me there.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:33 pm

evmori wrote:Theses stats have been posted for decades! Old news.

Similar stats have been around for a long time, but not these particular ones. Their study is recent, and the website shows results of the quiz for this month.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Fred,

I don't have any evidence. It just seems this pops up around election time & never anytime else! If this is the test to take to become a citizen, I would bet it hasn't changed for a long time & I would bet those of us who never had to take this test would score lower. I got 78.79%. I'm not real sure that it's a great measurement of anything.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby fgoodwin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Ed, I wasn't aware that this was an election time -- I know we have some local elections going on, but I certainly did not post this with politics in mind.

In fact, if you look at the website, Republicans and Democrats did about equally poorly on the questions, so I don't believe ISI had a political agenda behind the timing of their study results.
fgoodwin
First Class

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required