Family Life family discussions

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Family Life family discussions

Postby Jean9 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi all,
My oldest is currently working on Family life and I had a question about requirement 6b

b. After this discussion, plan and carry out a family meeting to include the following subjects:
1. Avoiding substance abuse
2. Understanding the growing-up process and how the body changes, and making responsible decisions dealing with sex
3. Personal and family finances
4. A crisis situation within your family
5. The effect of technology on your family

I have 4 kids (15yob, 13yog, 10yob and 8yog). I don't mind discussing 1, 3, 4 and 5 as a family (though we don't have an crisises in our family right now Thank God so what should we discuss?). I do however have a problem discussing 2 with the little kids around. We discuss this topic with the little ones on their level which is very different from our discussions with the older ones. Any suggestions how we can meet the requirement with the little ones at the meeting. How do people deal with that topic with even younger kids in the family?

Thanks,
Jeannine
Jean9
Second Class

Re: Family Life family discussions

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:14 pm

I would do at a level you are comfortable with & move on.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby alex gregory » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm

If your 13 yr-old is also a Scout, have him join in on the fun and get the 2-for-1 special. If your 13 yr-old is a girl your older son may find it harder to talk about all the issues that are supposed to be discussed. If both are boys, both can benefit from the discussion regardless of whether or not they are both scouts and it should be age appropriate for both.

I suggest the younger kids go watch TV or do something else.

Bottom line, it's your family and your call. Satisify the requirement in a way that works best for your family.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:39 am

Some of these topics are those that we would never discuss in mixed company. The family meeting does not necessarily have to include ALL members of the family. Nor does it have to go into detail. You know where your children's innocence and maturity levels are. "Do you know what question #2 means?" "Yep." Done deal.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:22 am

Topic #2 is not one that you should dive into blindly. Prior to any discussion of this topic, the young man should talk with his parents about exactly what they are comfortable covering and how much detail. Parents and young man should agree before-hand how much can be discussed in front of younger ones. Discuss that much with everyone present, then if the parents are willing to discuss in greater detail with a limited group, make arrangements to exclude the younger ones.

A discussion limited in depth for the younger kids will fulfill the requirement of a family discussion. Hopefully, more discussion can take place in a way that the parents and youth feel they can safely discuss this difficult topic in any detail they need.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:34 am

FrankJ wrote:I would do at a level you are comfortable with & move on.

Yup. I agree 100%.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 am

Jean9 wrote:Hi all,
My oldest is currently working on Family life and I had a question about requirement 6b

b. After this discussion, plan and carry out a family meeting to include the following subjects:
1. Avoiding substance abuse
2. Understanding the growing-up process and how the body changes, and making responsible decisions dealing with sex
3. Personal and family finances
4. A crisis situation within your family
5. The effect of technology on your family

I have 4 kids (15yob, 13yog, 10yob and 8yog). I don't mind discussing 1, 3, 4 and 5 as a family (though we don't have an crisises in our family right now Thank God so what should we discuss?). I do however have a problem discussing 2 with the little kids around. We discuss this topic with the little ones on their level which is very different from our discussions with the older ones. Any suggestions how we can meet the requirement with the little ones at the meeting. How do people deal with that topic with even younger kids in the family?

Thanks,
Jeannine

Read through the MB pamphlet and see what they are getting at in this requirement. You have to cover 6.b since you can't subtract from the requirementsbut you have some flexibility on the depth. Has he talked to his MBC counselor on this to complete 6a and go over 6b?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required