Hiking Merit Badge

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Hiking Merit Badge

Postby papabear » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:40 am

Can the hikes for this merit badge be done by a Scout and his family or do all the hikes need to be done as part of a troop or Boy Scout activity?
papabear
Second Class

Re: Hiking Merit Badge

Postby Quailman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 am

Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of at least ten continuous miles. Prepare a hike plan for each hike.

Most merit badges say nothing about doing the activities as part of a troop activity (notable exception= camping nights for the camping merit badge). Just prepare a plan for the hike beforehand. You might also want to let your MB counsleor know you're going in advance.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 am

The only other MB requirement I can think of that must be done with your troop is Emergency Prep #8b

b. Take part in at least one troop mobilization. Before the exercise, describe your part to your counselor. Afterward, conduct an "after-action" lesson, discussing what you learned during the exercise that required changes or adjustments to the plan.

There are a lot of MBs that have requirements that must be approved in advance by the counselor and they are listed on this site.

As stated earlier, check with your Hiking MB counselor. Who knows, he may have other scouts looking for hiking buddies. A 20 miler with your buddies is more fun than with your little sister! :)
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby alex gregory » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 am

papabear wrote:Can the hikes for this merit badge be done by a Scout and his family or do all the hikes need to be done as part of a troop or Boy Scout activity?

Family hiking that meets Req. #5 is fine, as long as the MBC approves. With MBC approval none of the hikes need to involve the troop or Boy Scouts. That said, it's Boy Scouts, not Webelos 2. Have your son announce the planned hike at the next troop meeting (after checking with the SM) and invite interested scouts to join the fun. If the hiking group is going to include other scouts make sure you file a trip plan, comply with YPT, and all that other good stuff.

Remember that your scout is supposed to plan the 20-miler in order to satisfy Req. #6.

Some troops do not routinely schedule 10+ mile hikes on the troop calendar (which is too bad). If that's the case, take the initiative and make sure that a 10-miler happens at least every 3 months.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Wed May 27, 2009 6:16 am

I went with my son on his 20 mile hike over the weekend and I'm still feeling every step. It was just me and him and we did some geocaching along the trails. We did see alot of cool things along the way like big rocks, caves and wildlife. I only went on one of the five 10 mile hikes he did which was with our troop. The other 4 he did with a group getting ready to go to Philmont.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed May 27, 2009 7:34 am

Just ask the MBC ahead of time if they will accept this.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required