Question on a First Aid requirement

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Question on a First Aid requirement

Postby TonicX57 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:36 pm

I have a question on this requirement:
1. Satisfy your counselor that you have current knowledge of all first aid requirements for Tenderfoot Rank, Second Class Rank, and First Class Rank.

Can I just have my Scout Master or someone else sign off on this requirement?
TonicX57
Scout

Re: Question on a First Aid requirement

Postby 9009scoutmaster » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:46 pm

That would be up to the merit badge counselor. Usually within 10-30 minutes your counselor can tell if you have a general knowlege of first aid requirement from tenderfoot to first class.
1978 Eagle Scout
Former SM
GHL District Chattahoochee Council
SR-668
BEAVERS BUILD
9009scoutmaster
Life

Postby Mrw » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:59 pm

In our troop, the counselor we send our boys to would expect them to be able to regurgitate that pretty quickly.

Our view is that first aid cannot be reviewed too many times, since they may have to use it on us at some point!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby TonicX57 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am

Ok. Thanks for helping.
TonicX57
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 am

To answer your question, only an approved FA MBC can sign off the requirements for MBs. The Scout can provide "credible evidence" of completion of MB requirements such as a SM note but they cannot sign off the "blue card". The MBC can verify to their satisfaction that you have done the requirement by asking some questions about the T/2/1 FA requirements.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby TonicX57 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:07 pm

smtroop168 wrote:To answer your question, only an approved FA MBC can sign off the requirements for MBs. The Scout can provide "credible evidence" of completion of MB requirements such as a SM note but they cannot sign off the "blue card". The MBC can verify to their satisfaction that you have done the requirement by asking some questions about the T/2/1 FA requirements.

I know, I just meant that if I were to send my work to a MBC if I could just have my SM sign by that requirement so that the MBC could see that I've done it. So I just mean so that I don't have to actually visit the MBC, that I could just send proof that it was done.
TonicX57
Scout

Postby Mrw » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:17 pm

The thought of a MBC signing off on a badge without seeing the boy in person makes me shudder! Especially for something like first aid which, done poorly, can cause far more harm than help.

My experience has been that there are more First Aid counselors around than I have boys in my troop (50 right now) to send. Meeting with just one should not be a problem.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby deweylure » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:36 am

alot of merit badges have requirements asking about knowledge of rank first aid requirements,fishing .swimming leatherwork etc. As previous posssts state is up to the MB counselor. As with any skill you should practice or you will forget.

I have had scouts who have earned the first aid badge . You ask them a question or ask to help with younger scouts and you get the deer in the headlight look.

My suggestion is to review the requirements and be prepared to demonstrate them for the counselor. It seems, you want to take the easy way by having SM sign or not even see a counselor. This to me inddicates you truly are not comfortable with the knowledge you already have.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:46 pm

TonicX57 wrote:I have a question on this requirement:
1. Satisfy your counselor that you have current knowledge of all first aid requirements for Tenderfoot Rank, Second Class Rank, and First Class Rank.

Can I just have my Scout Master or someone else sign off on this requirement?
No.

You are to 'Satisfy our counselor...'

If they meant to say "...your Scoutmaster..." they would have said that as they do in Camping requirement 9e:

"Present yourself to your Scoutmaster with your pack for inspection."

Unless stated otherwise the person you 'show', 'tell', 'explain', or 'talk' to is your counselor.

When they are concerned that that might not be clear enough they may explicitly state '...your counselor...'

This could not be more clear, even if they had not said 'your counselor.' This requirement takes just a few minutes once you learn your first aid.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby E4gle Sc0ut 2 Be » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm

For this, all i did was show my merit badge counselor that i had all those reqs sighned off by my scoutmaster
E4gle Sc0ut 2 Be
Scout

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required