Cit in the Nation / World: Bradley Report

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Cit in the Nation / World: Bradley Report

Postby fgoodwin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:32 pm

According to the recently released Bradley Report, "45 percent of 18-34 year old Americans believe that international law should trump the U.S. Constitution in instances where there is a conflict".

See http://bradleyproject.org/

I wonder what Cit in the Nation or World MBCs think about that?
fgoodwin
First Class

Re: Cit in the Nation / World: Bradley Report

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Your government schools at work :x

I think that figure is shocking. Is this 45% completely devoid of any understanding of history?

"Give us your youth and we will prevail." ~Adolph Hitler
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby scott88gt » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:14 pm

This counselor is DISTURBED :evil: on a daily basis by what he sees and hears. The report is not shocking, nor is the fact that I never heard of it until now (Unabashed patriotism is not cool these days). I am also not surprised that it has not received coverage from any of the major outlets.

There are times where I find myself undoing what the public school system has "taught" my boys. Unfortunately, there is not enough time in the day to get all of them.

I will take the time to read the rest of this report, digest it, then send it to everyone I know.
scott88gt
Scout

Postby Cowboy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:58 pm

That is why BSA instruction is so important. Those of us who are involved in our childrens lives are constantly amazed and apalled by the things that are taught as fact. Want a good one? My oldest boy informed us one night that the way a County Seat in WI was determined was by a man getting on a horse and riding as far as he could in a day. Wherever he stopped for the night was the county seat for that area. Fortunately we were there to correct him. Our youngest was taught that Hitler took over violently, and was never elected to any office.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby fgoodwin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:42 pm

Every year on March 2, I ask my son (and my daughter before she graduated to college), if any of his teachers mentioned the significance of the day. Every year, I get the same response: "No".

Of course, March 2 is Texas Independence Day, and it is a sad commentary that Texas public schools no longer mention it (and this coming just a few years after the Texas Legislature mandated the Texas Pledge every day in public schools).

I would be very surprised if any schools mentioned that Sunday, Dec 7 was Pearl Harbor Day. Nowadays, kids are taught that Americans are the bad guys, responsible for all the world's problems.

OK, stepping down off the soapbox now . . .
fgoodwin
First Class

Postby Jean9 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:39 pm

This is why it is so important that people read the US Constitution and understand what it means. It isn't taught in the schools so it is going to be up to parents to make sure that kids have the knowledge of what the Constitution says. I teach a class in US Constitution for 6-8th graders and a current events class at our homeschool co-op and it amazes me how much the kids don't know, until I deal with public school kids who know even less.
Jean9
Second Class

Postby fgoodwin » Fri May 15, 2009 2:55 pm

I took one semester of civics in HS (and followed it with a semester of typing!) -- don't public schools offer civics anymore?

It would be a shame if they didn't. I guess all that time talking about Karl Marx leaves little time for capitalism & democracy . . . :(
fgoodwin
First Class

Postby VenturingL » Fri May 15, 2009 5:12 pm

The courses both my kids were required to take were: World Geography, World History, American History, Government, and Economics (US Economy).
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby Jean9 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:30 pm

Our state, NH, requires Civics for HS graduates, but I doubt seriously it is the same Civics you and I think of. I was talking to some scouts about our town's history (specifically Revolutionary War period) and they couldn't identify the King of England during that time as George the 3rd.
I was describing something that happened in town during that period and when I said "the king" they asked if I meant King Henry. I told them no and told them King George the 3rd. One then asked if he was the one that got his head cut off and the other asked if he was the "King of America". These were 9th graders who had taken US History the year before and one was an honor student.
Just because the subject is called Civics doesn't mean that is what they are being taught.
Jeannine
Jean9
Second Class

Postby Quailman » Fri May 15, 2009 6:49 pm

There was a 1994 movie entitled The Madness of King George. It was based on a play entitiled "The Madness of George III", but the name was changed (a) because it was considered unlikely that American audiences would know that George III referred to a king, and specifically to which king, and (b) because the studio was concerned that audiences would mistake it for a sequel.

On the other hand, my teenagers have picked up some factual (and probably lots of worng) information about WWII from one of the video games they play.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required