Public Speaking Merit Badge

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Public Speaking Merit Badge

Postby cballman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:59 pm

Question for all. why is the public speaking merit badge not on the required list? after listening to some scouts and scouters I think we need to learn to speak in front of a group. they are scared to death to make a mistake but if we teach them now when they get my age it might make it easier for them. so now what do you think?
cballman

Postby Guneukitschik » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:25 pm

I agree that it should be a required MB...I guess they figure that Communications MB covers that too?
Guneukitschik

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:17 pm

I did pubic speaking as a scout and it really was a help later in help. We actually took a Dale Carnegie Speaking course over several weeks. It was offered to scouts for free. When you find out what they charge for that, it was a steal.AFter the course we all were expected to speak at several places and events about scouting.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Lynda J » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:33 am

I have wondered why it wasn't a required badge for Eagle.
There is little in life that boys will do and will have to learn to do as adults that Public Speaking would not help.
I know that we can not as leaders require our boys to earn any merit badge but PS is one of the ones that I try to guide my boys to earn.
And to be honest it isn't that hard and most Scouts in HIgh School can easily earn it.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:19 am

As a MB Counselor for this badge, I remind the green bar folks that they already are doing most of the requiements so they should take a look at the rest and complete this badge. I don't know if it should be a required badge but it would be nice if more troops encouraged scouts to do this badge. I think it ties in nicely with what so many of the scouts do in their leadership positions. Another very important tool which the scout program offers to the youth!
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby Guneukitschik » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:03 pm

I don't think that many of the younger Scouts realize that by the time they are in High School and College this MB will benefit them greatly.
Guneukitschik

Public Speaking

Postby riverwalk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:26 pm

Speaking publicly,haha...I agree. It is very useful and important. As a young person (including time as a Scout), I was very much a wallflower. I crumbled to pieces when speaking in front of others. But since being a Scouter, and being in a Public Safety capacity, I had to step up to the task many times. That experience, and learning by studying effective people, has helped me deal with my butterflies. Yes they are still there, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :lol:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required