Possible Eagle Required MB

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Possible Eagle Required MB

Postby lane_eaglescout » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:53 am

After receiving Eagle a few months ago, I started looking through all of my merit badges, as well as those that I didn't earn and wondering what I would do if I could make a new list of required MBs. First, I would add Cooking. I know this was required for a few years in the early 1970's, and have no idea why it was dropped from the list. Also, Public Speaking should replace Communications. Wilderness survival and Camping should be and "either or group". Also, I think Sports and Athletics could be added as options with Personal Fitness-I can see why sports was taken off the list in 1999-it was the easy way out since it didn't require as much time as Personal Fitness. Given the recent changes in Sports requirements(along with Athletics)I no longer think that there would be an "easy way out". Finally-one nobody talks about is Home Repairs. My definition of an Eagle Required Badge would be something that all Eagles should know how to do to prepare them for life. I think Home Repairs fits this mold perfectly. One small thing would be that these would mean lowering the number of electives a scout should earn for Eagle. I have a couple of solutions. First, make the three Citizenship merit badges into one badge entitled "Citizenship". I never got why there were three of those badges, since they are so closely related. And if that doesn't work-up the number of total badges needed to 25-I had my 21 merit badges a couple of years before I got Eagle and don't think that four more would kill anyone.[/list][/code]
lane_eaglescout
Scout

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:25 am

Cooking was required in the early 1960's
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Lynda J » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:24 am

I think that as a whole the badge lay out is currently well balanced. Requiring Sports and Athletics would hurt boys that simply are not athlets.
There is a young man I know that has a condition called CMT. He completed Personal Fitness with a little difficulity but if Sports or Athletics were required he could not physically do these badges.
Lumping all Citizenship badges into one would make it hard on some boys. While Community is easier for younger boys World is harder.
Also as boys go through school normally in 6th grade they study State History in 7th they cover American, and in 8th they study World History. This giving to helping they with badge work. At least that is how it is in our school system.

I thing what National does with Eagle required badges is look for a good balance between everythings. No stress on one area. This makes a well rounded Eagle Applicant.
If you look at the current Eagle required badges you will find aspects of each badge you recommened in the ones already required.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:12 am

Actually, I think what lane was suggesting was to make Sports or Athletics alternatives to Personal Fitness, not in addition to.
But I agree with Lynda, I feel the current list of required badges is pretty good.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby lane_eaglescout » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:23 am

I should probably clear something up. Those were only suggestions. I wasn't attacking the current system, in fact, I really like the current list myself. Jr56 was right that I meant for Athletics and Sports to be an option along with Personal Fitness. Once again though, I have no major beef with the current list of required badges, I just think(from my point of view) that the merit badges I mentioned have a good case to be required, though. (After rereading my post, I do realize that it did sound more critical than I meant it to be.)
lane_eaglescout
Scout

Postby Quailman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:20 am

You make a good point about Home Repair. When my oldest son crossed over, we looked at the list of MB's and he chose Reading and Home Repairs to work on first. He was 12. The skills are important, and people should know how to do all of them if they own a home, just as they should know how to change a flat tire or jump-start a car if they get a driver's license. I don't think it quite fits up there with citizenship or Family Life when it comes to Eagle requirements, though.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:07 am

The badge that I would like see added to Eagle required would be Disabilities Awareness.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:08 am

Here's a link that shows the history of Eagle required MBs.

http://usscouts.org/usscouts/eagle/EagleHistory.html
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:43 am

I would like Public Speaking myself, but I have no problems the way it is.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:59 am

After just completing a week at summer camp with 23 boys, I'm going to make a push to have NUT CULTURE reinstated as an Eagle Required badge. :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am

wagionvigil wrote:Cooking was required in the early 1960's
In fact Cooking was required continuously from 1915 until 1972
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby mt_goodrich » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:02 pm

A cool thing I have been doing lately is picking up old Scout handbooks and other manuals at garage sales, etc.

It is fascinating to read thru the old requirements from "way back when".
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:07 am

Wilderness Survival
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:00 am

AT the 2001 National Jamboree there was a petition going around to Make Wilderness Survival A Required MB
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby jr56 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Also, reading the ideas suggested, trying to consolidate all the citizenship information into one Merit Badge, would be too much.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Personally, I don't think it would be a hardship to increase the total number of MB's needed for Eagle. The current list of required badges is good, but perhaps there could be a second tier that includes Wilderness Survival, Cooking, Hiking, Cycling, Swimming (when not used as Eagle-required), Disability Awareness, Public Speaking, Home Repairs, and more. Make an Eagle earn the current 12, plus 8 of the next tier plus 4 or 5 more. MB's not on the second tier would include fingerprinting, basketry, and any others that come up when you hear someone say "I need one more elective in the next three hours. What should I take?"
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 pm

If I am understanding your thoughts on a tier system, I think it might be a nice add to the current requirements. Do you mean a scout would need to earn the current badges and then would have to earn several more out of a list of maybe 5 or 6, with the scout picking which of these they want to do? Yes, nice thought.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 pm

If I am understanding your thoughts on a tier system, I think it might be a nice add to the current requirements. Do you mean a scout would need to earn the current badges and then would have to earn several more out of a list of maybe 5 or 6, with the scout picking which of these they want to do? Yes, nice thought.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:29 pm

AT one time the Merit Badges were listed by catagory. ANd you had to have so many from each catagory plus the required. This gave the scouts a well rounded experience. I was one of those. Swimming and Lifesaving were required with NO OPTIONAL MERIT BADGES!!! Cooking was required and I had to cook a complete meal including bread and dessert for like 8 people on a Trench Fire.
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Swim4lyfe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:16 pm

The citizenship merit badges used to be one merit badge - Civics. It was broken up for a greater need of a wider variety of Citizenship-type badges, which is especially needed in these crazy times. The Cit merit badges have been around since the early 50s, with the exception of Cit in the World, which was introduced in 1972. They're fine the way they are; if Civics were to be reintroduced, it would be a very, very large merit badge.

Cooking I can go for. I'm quite surprised this is not Eagle required, or at least a multiple choice. The Eagle merit badges are chosen as those that are used in everyday life; nobody orders take-out all the time.

Something interesting that I found out is that Safety was Eagle required for a while yet was taken off. I suppose it could be substituted with Emergency Prep and First Aid, but it still doesn't make sense.

Wilderness Survival... I don't know about that one. Camping is eagle required since every Scout comes across camping in his Scouting career, whereas Wilderness Survival is more heavy-duty die-hard training for something most Scouts would rather stay away from. Maybe make it another multiple choice badge with Cooking and Safety?
Swim4lyfe
Star

Next

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required