Family Life Projects?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Family Life Projects?

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:45 pm

I am curious.....the only thing I need to finish Family Life is the family project...what can our family do for this project? Thanks in advance (last mb for Eagle!)
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:49 am

There are some suggestions in [this thread]
Quailman
Bronze Palm

family project

Postby mommatoodle » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:05 am

our family planted a garden. Our son assigned the different jobs : pulling weeds, digging the holes for the plants, laying the colored covering stuff, putting in the edging, etc. It was fun and we all had a part...doesn't have to be real big...looked nice when it was done...i wasn't allowed to touch a plant since they all say i can kill silk plants! i got to pull weeds...yippeeee
mommatoodle
First Class

Postby Mrw » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:19 am

We did things like paint a room, spread mulch, etc. I don't remember specifically what my boys did as it has been a long time since they had earned that.

Take a look around and see what needs to be done at home.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:48 am

My son turned a shed we had into a fitness room.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Re: Family Life Projects?

Postby alex gregory » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:35 am

My son is building a backyard chicken coop which he then plans to stock with his new pets for Pet MB and then he tells me he plans to sell the eggs for Enterpreneur MB. If it doesn't work out at least we have something for a one-pot meal and a Cooking MB requirement.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:50 am

I take this is for requirement 4 not 5?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby alex gregory » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:59 pm

smtroop168 wrote:I take this is for requirement 4 not 5?

Not my area of MBC expertise. Why would it make a difference?
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 pm

4 is an individual project

5 requires participation of the family
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:56 pm

For the individual project, my son used a whetstone to sharpen all our kitchen knives. We had never sharpened them except for using the round sharpening rod which doesn't do much.

A word to the wise: if your scout (or anyone in your household) sharpens all the kitchen knives that used to be extrememly dull, warn all the other family members.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby cballman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:02 pm

My son for his personal project took the four round peices of concrete and made a ring around both trees in the front yard. he had tobury them and then to mulch them.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 am

How about the whole family building a deck, or new steps onto the porch (or old deck)? Also landscaping projects, tree triming around the yard, organizing the garage (or cellar), and the dreaded "sealing of the driveway!" Need more?
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby ronin718 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 am

Maybe a little late for this year, but for my son's FamLife project, we built a raised-surface garden. It measures 6' x 24', and because of the slope in the back yard, one end is 15" deep and the other end is 22" deep. Once we got the framing done using 4x4's, we put in 6 cubic feet of topsoil and manure/compost blend. We did it during the spring, and the harvest was absolutely great. That is if you're into lots of squash, tomatoes, beans, radishes, pumpkins, cantaloupes, potatoes, and carrots. I'm good with all but the squash, and MAN, did we get too much of that!!
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 am

Quailman wrote: A word to the wise: if your scout (or anyone in your household) sharpens all the kitchen knives that used to be extrememly dull, warn all the other family members.

And keep an eye open over your shoulder when you turn down a request for an allowance increase. :lol:
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Postby alex gregory » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:24 pm

ronin718 wrote:Maybe a little late for this year, but for my son's FamLife project, we built a raised-surface garden. It measures 6' x 24', and because of the slope in the back yard, one end is 15" deep and the other end is 22" deep. Once we got the framing done using 4x4's, we put in 6 cubic feet of topsoil and manure/compost blend. We did it during the spring, and the harvest was absolutely great. That is if you're into lots of squash, tomatoes, beans, radishes, pumpkins, cantaloupes, potatoes, and carrots. I'm good with all but the squash, and MAN, did we get too much of that!!

Check out the Gardening MB if you have not already done so. Sounds like a 2-for-1 special in the produce aisle.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:01 pm

Quailman wrote:For the individual project, my son used a whetstone to sharpen all our kitchen knives. We had never sharpened them except for using the round sharpening rod which doesn't do much.

A word to the wise: if your scout (or anyone in your household) sharpens all the kitchen knives that used to be extrememly dull, warn all the other family members.

I posted that two years ago. Recently my son sharpened them again, since we keep them loose in a drawer and they tend to dull when you store them like that. I am having trouble typing this with the band-aid I have wrapped around the end of my thumb. :oops:
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby razor_strop » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Maybe he could start Carpentry or Woodworking and make you a proper knife block. :wink:
razor_strop
Life

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required