Emergency Kit for Emergency Prep.?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Emergency Kit for Emergency Prep.?

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:29 am

At my summer camp this year I'm taking Emergency Prep.............one of the few things I have to do before summer camp is make that kit. They didn't say what to have in it, so I'd thought I'd ask you guys.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:59 am

The best resource is the Merit Badge pamphlet. If you read it, you should know what is required.

You can go to the requirements list here on www.meritbadge.com and see what the requirement says, but the pamphlet will go into more detail.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 am

currently, my friend has the one we're sharing, hopefully he'll bring it tomorrow, we got to make a chart.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby 616kayak » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 am

scouting.org wrote:What you have on hand when a disaster happens could make a big difference. Plan to store enough supplies for everyone in your household for at least three days.

-Water. Have at least one gallon per person per day.
-Food. Pack non-perishable, high-protein items, including energy bars,ready-to-eat soup, peanut butter, etc. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water.
-Flashlight. Include extra batteries.
-First aid kit. Include a reference guide.
-Medications. Don't forget both prescription and non-prescription items.
-Battery-operated Weather radio. Include extra batteries.
-Tools. Gather a wrench to turn off gas if necessary, a manual can opener, screwdriver, hammer, pliers, knife, duct tape, plastic sheeting, and garbage bags and ties.
-Clothing. Provide a change of clothes for everyone, including sturdy shoes and gloves.
-Personal Items. Remember eyeglasses or contact lenses and solution; copies of important papers, including identification cards, insurance policies, birth certificates, passports, etc.; and comfort items such as toys and books.
-Sanitary supplies. You'll want toilet paper, towelettes, feminine supplies, personal hygiene items, bleach, etc.
-Money. Have cash. (ATMs and credit cards won't work if the power is out.)
-Contact information. Includey a current list of family phone numbers and e-mail addresses, including someone out of the area who may be easier to reach by e-mail if local phone lines are overloaded.
-Pet supplies. Include food, water, leash, litter box or plastic bags, tags, medications, and vaccination information.
-Map. Consider marking an evacuation route on it from your local area.

This is the basic list according to scouting.org. This is not a complete list.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:51 am

woah, I must check the book, I know there is a scaled down list for emergencies at camp, I think....
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby 616kayak » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:11 pm

This is the list from national.

It looks long so i will break it down for you.
• Water.
• Food.
• Flashlight.
• First aid kit.
• Medications.
• Battery-operated Weather radio.
• Tools.
• Clothing.
• Personal Items.
• Sanitary supplies.
• Money. Have cash.
• Contact information.
• Pet supplies.
• Map.

Most of thesse things are easy. Some require a parent. If you dont have a pet thats one less group of items.

This is the biggest req so it will take some time, but if you ever need it you will be glad you had it.

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:15 pm

I have 11 pets :shock:
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby 616kayak » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:23 pm

ok so your back from camp. Howd things go? Did you get your kit done befor camp?

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:14 pm

616kayak wrote:ok so your back from camp. Howd things go? Did you get your kit done befor camp?

Okay, well I made the kit from scouting.org (the family kit), and dropped $50 on it (NOAA radio, etc.) only to find out the council screwed up in then prerequsite part of the summer camp 2006 book. It said "bring family emergency kit"....the counciler wanted the personal which has 1/5 of the stuff :evil: ....although he did pass me and a few other kids since it wasn't our fault.....I was surpized at how many people didn't get the merit badge and only got partials, it was such an easy merit badge (not neccesarally, but to me anyway).
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required