Lifesaving MB Session Plan?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby toddoc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:19 pm

For the last 3 years I have been assisting the Lifesaving MB Councilor at a local MB Camporee each spring. This year I have volunteered to be the councilor. I am awaiting a head count but in prievious years we have had 20-25 scouts at these sessions so we have to be pretty organized to get through the material in 2 four hour sessions. I can create a session plan from scratch but am hoping that someone on this forum might have something I can start from.

Thanks for your help - in advance

YiS - Todd
toddoc
Scout

Postby ASM-142 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:44 pm

What about the swimming portion of the MB?
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby toddoc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:55 pm

It's primarily the water portion of the sessions I am concerned about. It's a matter of establishing specific skill stations and rotating smaller groups of scouts through the stations (not larger than groups of 8). I found out that we will have 32 scouts this year which means either 4 or 5 stations. I know I need to start with all the scouts completing the 400 meter swim test. I need to split the skills (requirements) and be able to provide instruction and test plans for each of the station volunteers.
toddoc
Scout

Re: Lifesaving MB Session Plan?

Postby ASM-142 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:59 pm

toddoc wrote:It's primarily the water portion of the sessions I am concerned about. It's a matter of establishing specific skill stations and rotating smaller groups of scouts through the stations (not larger than groups of 8). I found out that we will have 32 scouts this year which means either 4 or 5 stations. I know I need to start with all the scouts completing the 400 meter swim test. I need to split the skills (requirements) and be able to provide instruction and test plans for each of the station volunteers.

I am not sure how this can be done in 2 four hour sessions. I have only seen this MB done at summercamp which takes 5 days with 4 hours a day. At summercamp the most boys I have seen in the class for this badge is 8.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:15 pm

I agree with ASM. I don't see any way this badge can to truly completed in 2 hours. Sounds like to pass through.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby JazerNorth » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:49 pm

Lynda J wrote: I don't see any way this badge can to truly completed in 2 hours. Sounds like to pass through.

2 session @ 4 hours/session = 8 hours total.

It is possible, only if the boys do not need to be taught. Meaining, they come prepared ("BE PREPARED") to pass off the merit badge.

More than likely, this is more than passing off the requirements and is a teaching class. Then, yeah, it shouldn't be able to be done in that short of time.

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Don't go in over your head, or...

Postby riverwalk » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:42 pm

Generally speaking, I don't know many MB that can be done in a day session/workshop, though I've participated where somebody thought it was a MB factory, haha. But I will offer this in the interest of safety, though you're experienced already at this MB station.....no matter what stations are planned, the actual stations depend on enough supervision.

That being said, I'm gonna review the requirements and see if any ideas float by.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Re: Don't go in over your head, or...

Postby toddoc » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:18 am

riverwalk wrote:.....no matter what stations are planned, the actual stations depend on enough supervision...

I agree that each station needs fully qualified supervision. Last year we had three MB councilors (two were Red Cross WSI certified) and two Red Cross Certified Lifeguards to man the stations. Each station took between 1 and 1.5 hours depending on the requirments and was limited to 8 scouts at a time. There is very little slack time (one break for lunch) in the program and the young men are pretty tired by the end of it. We also had an additional 4 hour period after dinner as necessary to help scouts that had problems in skill areas. This is less structured and geared to specific needs.
toddoc
Scout

Postby Lynda J » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:03 pm

2 session @ 4 hours/session = 8 hours total.

It is possible, only if the boys do not need to be taught. Meaining, they come prepared ("BE PREPARED") to pass off the merit badge.

More than likely, this is more than passing off the requirements and is a teaching class. Then, yeah, it shouldn't be able to be done in that short of time.

That makes more sense. I just couldn't see where this badge could be taught in one 2 hr session
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Still need help?

Postby brainiac90 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:14 pm

I know it's been a while since the original post, but if you still need help or anyone else needs help with a syllabus, I've teach this merit badge in 5 hrs with my biggest class so far being 23.
brainiac90

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required