Citizenship in the Nation

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Citizenship in the Nation

Postby JazerNorth » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:42 am

Would any of you allow a visit to the Titanic Traveling Museum satisfy requirement 2d?

2d "Choose a national monument that interests you. Using books, brochures, the Internet (with your parent's permission), and other resources, find out more about the monument. Tell your counselor what you learned, and explain why the monument is important to this country's citizens."

I want to say yes, because it is a monument, but it isn't one that stand still.

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Postby ASM-142 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:07 am

I think that would be stretching the requirement. How close are you to George Washington Carver, Missouri National Monument ?
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:31 am

I think that would be a stretch too. It is primarily a musem display, not a monument or even really a memorial. And yes, I saw it in Clevlend a couple years ago at the science museum.

The traveling Veitnam Wall Memorial, on the other hand, I would allow.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Mad Dog » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:29 pm

I don't think that would satisfy the requirement. It is not a National Monument. However, you do not have to visit the monument it can be researched via web or through books, periodivals etc.
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby evmori » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:45 pm

While I'm a big Titanic fan, it isn't a national monument so it doesn't meet the requirement.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:01 pm

national monument n. A natural landmark or a structure or site of historic interest set aside by a national government and maintained for public enjoyment or study.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia... "A U.S. National Monument is a protected area of the United States that is similar to a national park (specifically a U.S. National Park) except that the President of the United States can quickly declare an area of the United States to be a national monument without Congressional approval. There are also fewer protections offered to wildlife and to the geographic features in a national monument compared to the protection (and funding) that a national park receives.

Another difference between a national monument and national park is the amount of diversity in what is being protected; national monuments aim to preserve at least one unique resource but do not have the amount of diversity of a national park (which are supposed to protect a host of unique features). However areas within and extending beyond, national parks, monuments or even national forests can be part of wilderness areas, which have an even greater degree of protection than a national park would alone, although wilderness areas managed by the U.S. Forest Service and U.S. Bureau of Land Management oftentimes allow hunting.

National monuments are managed by the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, United States Fish and Wildlife Service or by the Bureau of Land Management.

The power to grant national monuments came from President Theodore Roosevelt, who declared Devils Tower in Wyoming as the very first national monument. He thought Congress was moving too slowly and it would be ruined by the time they got around to making it a national park."

Go here ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._National_Monument ) for exceptionally good history where various presidents have utilized their powers regarding national monuments; there's a well-compliled list, too.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Scouting179 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:03 am

The Titanic was a British ship that sank in international waters. Does not meet the requiremetn.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby cballman » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:07 am

well I would consider using the titanic as a musuem. but only if they traveled to the bottom of the ocean to veiw it. but to use a traveling musuem then I would have to agree with most NO.
cballman

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required