2006 Boy Scout Requirements booklet released

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

2006 Boy Scout Requirements booklet released

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:29 am

The *2006 Boy Scout Requirements* book (33215B) is out and should be arriving at our local Scout Shops very soon. I received my copy of the new book on Thursday afternoon, from national supply, after ordering it through the Web. (Note that, although the catalog has the new book, the Web site still lists the old one. After I ordered it, and got a confirmation that they were sending me LAST YEAR's book, I e-mailed customer service, to make sure I got the right edition. The Customer Service rep. manually changed the order to make sure I got the 2006 book. I've have been feverishly working on the review ever since. (With a little time out for work, meals, a little sleep, and a bit of time with my family.) :-)

I think I've gotten everything revised and posted to the US Scouting Service Project website. The analysis of what's changed since last January 1, 2005 can be found at:
http://usscouts.org/usscouts/advance/bo ... ges06.html

There are links from that page to the individual merit badges and I've posted, in most cases, word by word analyses of what changed.

Here's a rough summary of what the new book contains, in the way of changes:

------ First Class requirements change ------------

The new First Class requirement is there as requirement 11 (after Scout Spirit) with the SM Conference and BOR being renumbered. The transitional footnote reads:

"Effective January , 2006, Scouts already working on their First Class rank prior to this date will have until June 30, 2006, to complete the rank without fulfilling requirement 11."

I've added the following note regarding the footnote:

Questions have been raised as to when does a Scout begin "working on their First Class rank"? Is it when he starts working on the first requirement for First Class, which could be as soon as he has completed the requirements for joining, since "The requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks may be worked on simultaneously; however, these ranks must be earned in sequence."? Or is it when he completes his Second Class Board of Review, and is now working toward First Class? Arguments can be made in favor of either interpretation. We have requested a clarification from the National BSA Office to resolve the issue.

--------- Merit Badge Changes - Previously announced -------------------

During 2005, after the 2005 Requirements Book was issued, at least 15 new merit badge pamphlets were issued all with new or revised requirements, that I had previously posted to the website. Those merit badges were:

American Cultures, American Heritage, Bird Study, Computers, Disability Awareness, Energy, Geology, Photography, Plant Science, Public Health, Reptile and Amphibian Study, Shotgun Shooting, Truck Transportation, Veterinary Medicine, and Whitewater.

All of those changes are now covered in the 2006 Boy Scout Requirements Book, and in each case, nothing else changed, *except Shotgun Shooting* (see below).

In addition, the new book includes the changes to Scholarship merit badge that were inadvertently omitted from the 2005 requirements book, and the two requirements for Astronomy merit badge which had been left out of the 2005 book, even though in both cases, they had appeared in the pamphlets released during 2004. No other changes were made to those two merit badges.

--------Shotgun Shooting ----------------

For Shotgun Shooting, the new requirements book DOES have a few of the changes that appear in the new merit badge pamphlet, but *NOT all of them*. The majority of the changes were NOT transfered to the new Requirements Book. I'll write to BSA to see if I can find out what happened. In addition, the requirements in the pamphlet appear, to me, to have two editorial errors. On my site, I've listed what I believe should be the correct wording, but keep in mind that it's simply my best guess. I'll try to get those clarified as well.

----------------Other merit badge changes -------------

In addition to the 17 merit badges listed above, 11 other merit badges have had changes, all but two of which are substantial or almost complete rewrites. Those are:

American Labor, CAMPING, Chemistry (minor changes), CITIZENSHIP IN THE WORLD, Crime Prevention, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, Forestry, Genealogy, Pioneering, Pulp and paper, and Skating (minor changes).

NOTE: The three in ALL CAPS are, of course, EAGLE REQUIRED badges, so Scouts, Scoutmasters, and Merit Badge Counselors for those badges should take particular care to review the changes.

--------------------- NEW badge -----------------------

At the 2005 National Jamboree, there was a display and demonstration of a proposed new merit badge in Composite Materials. That merit badge has been added to the requirements book. The pamphlet for the badge is NOT available yet, but should become available in the next few months.

---------------------- Merit Badge Books -------------------

I've also updated my listing of merit badge pamphlets, at
http://usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/mbbooks.html
to reflect the list on the inside back cover of the requirements book.

In addition to the 15 merit badge pamphlets I mentioned above that had previously been released during 2005, 10 of the 11 merit badges listed under the "Other merit badge changes" heading above have new pamphlets with copyright dates of either 2005 or 2006. (The Chemistry pamphlet is unchanged.)

By my records, there are only 12 merit badges with requirements that have remained completely unchanged since January 1, 1999, and only 10 with pamphlets that haven't been revised since that date.

If you find any errors in the typing or transcribing of these changes, please let me know. Thanks.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Mad Dog » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:51 pm

Just curious - What is Composite Materials?
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Composite materials covers a pretty broad range. Generally it is a fiber in a resin matrix.
Some examples: fiberglass. Graphite-expoxy used in some tennis raquets & golf club shafts. Plywood.
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Lynda J » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 am

I really have to wonder about where National comes up with merit badge ideas sometimes. With all the wonderful subjects that could be turned into badges Composite Material wouldn't be one that I would pick.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:39 pm

At the Jamboree they were demonstrating this MB by making a surf board
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mad Dog » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:49 pm

I did a little research and it looks like the M.C. Gill company sponsored the merit badge www.mcgillcorp.com. There is a website with specific information about the badge at www.compositesmeritbadge.com.
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby Scouting179 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:54 am

I have to agree with Lynda J; there won't be many kids getting this. Scuba Diving, which I wrote a proposal for a few years back did not fly, but then they came out with the patch (not mb).

This will be a low density mb that won't be around very long. My guess this is another case where "money talked".
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby aflmom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Personally, I don't know why there isn't a child care merit badge. I think it's just as important for boys/men to be actively involved in the care of their children as women. I realize they can be involved without earning a merit badge, but it would help stress the importance of it.

We care for foster children and over the past few years have had 50+ children in our home primarily four and under. Our son has learned a LOT about children and even before we started, he read a 400+ page book on growth and development. He's as comfortable holding and feeding a newborn and he is with changing a toddler's diaper--though not his favorite task.

I was actually surprised that there wasn't a merit badge related to child care. The Family Life merit badge isn't the same.

aflmom
aflmom
Star

Postby twilightann » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:46 pm

So with these new books out does this mean the Hunting merit badge will not be coming then??? Or at least it will not be this year???
twilightann
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Not this year at least
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:01 am

Scuba Diving, which I wrote a proposal for a few years back did not fly, but then they came out with the patch (not mb).

Just like the Kayaking. A scout can take the class at camp but it's not a MB. I can't figure out why they can't incorporate this with Canoeing, much like they've done with Snowsports, for the skiers and the snowboarders.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:29 am

Or Whitewater
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mad Dog » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:17 pm

If they are planning on adding a new merit badge does that mean that an existing one will be dropped? If so, does anyone know which one it will be?
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:28 pm

usually that is the case
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:26 pm

wagionvigil wrote:usually that is the case
Actually, a look at the history shows just the opposite.

Since 1972, the total available has ranged between 115 and 127, but the adds and drops are usually NOT concurrent.

The last time badges were dropped completely was in 1995 when 8 badges were dropped, lowering the total available from 123 to 115. Then in 1996 Crime Prevention was added, bring the total to 116. In 1997 they added Archaeology, Climbing, and Entrepreneurship for a total of 119.

When Skiing was dropped, in 1999, it was replaced by Snow Sports, which incorporated all of the previous badge. So, although it's considered a different badge, it really was more like a renaming and expansion.

Fly Fishing was added in 2002, raising the total to 120. This year they added "Composite Materials". The total is now 121.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required