eagle scout packet

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby Scouting179 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:46 am

The journey is unique to each Scout. Being an Eagle is part of your soul. Encourage and support them and let them discover it on their own; whether that is at age 12 1/2 (the youngest Eagle ever) or one day shy of 18.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:59 am

Scouting179 wrote:The journey is unique to each Scout. Being an Eagle is part of your soul. Encourage and support them and let them discover it on their own; whether that is at age 12 1/2 (the youngest Eagle ever) or one day shy of 18.

Well said! My thoughts exactly, but more eloquently said than I could.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

to eagle

Postby mommatoodle » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:55 am

my son is life and 12 1/2. he decided that he wants to spend the next two years working on conservation projects and learning leadership skills before he becomes eagle. I am proud of him for that
mommatoodle
First Class

Postby Lynda J » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:48 am

I agree that each scout is different. What I hate to see is a boy that rushed to Eagel.
My Gran was a wonderfully wise woman and spent her entire life teaching kids. She would spend most Saturday mornings taking kids up the creek that ran behind her house teaching them about nature and life. She use to say

"Don't just gulp life down. Hold it in your mouth and savor the taste, role it around on your tongue to enrich its flavors. Because you will never travel this path again and not get a chance to taste it again. So make it last so it is held in your heart for ever".
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby hacimsaalk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:17 pm

good news!!! i finally got in touch w/the wildlife refuge today. if all things pan out, ill be planting trees along a stream, to prevent erosion. (this would benifit the community right?) i should be able to complete it in APril or May, once the weather turns nice.

i also found out tonight that i have to have 50 hrs. put unto this project.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:35 pm

there are no set number of hours
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:40 pm

Keep in mind that you need to be logging and documenting even the time you are spending trying to get a hold of the right person to start the planning process as this is all part of the total time you will need to add up for your project. It is much easier to keep track as you go than to re-create or play catch-up later.
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby hacimsaalk » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:49 am

does time just looking up AN eagle project? is there any time that doesnt count?
Micah

PA

Life Scout

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby ASM-142 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:42 am

As stated earlier there is NO REQUIREMENT for the number of hours for an Eagle Project. If you are are being told there is that person is WRONG.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:56 am

My older son spent 10-12 hours over a couple weeks getting organized to do one project and then as he was nearly ready to present it for approval, an insurmountable problem came up that no one had forseen and it died.

He didn't include those hours in his project time, but when they asked at the BOR how much time he spent, he told them about that too.
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:41 am

Micah All this information is in the Eagle Scout Project Booklet PLEASE GET ONE NOW!! Either down load and print or from your service center.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Lynda J » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:44 am

Also where is your SM in this. You should be discussing alot of this with the SM.

Kevin took his idea for his project to his SM and they sat down and looked over it and Kevin talked to him about what it was going to take.

Our SM is really good at being available to our boy working on Eagle projects to come to him when t hey have questions or need to talk.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:31 am

There are I believe 5 signatures required BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING!!!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hacimsaalk » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:59 pm

ASM-142 wrote:As stated earlier there is NO REQUIREMENT for the number of hours for an Eagle Project. If you are are being told there is that person is WRONG.

My dad (an ASM) went to the committee meeting. he didnt bring up my project, but another project was discussed. It was said that 50 hours is required. Im not sure if it is a council thing, or a troop thing, but i have to have 50 hours.
Micah

PA

Life Scout

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:39 pm

IT IS NOBODYS THING IT IS AGAINST BSA. No where in anything does it say YOU MUST HAVE XX NUMBER OF HOURS. IF IT DOES SHOW ME!
YES I AM YELLING TROOP RULES AGAIN :evil:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:54 pm

Use the 50 hours as a basic guideline, not a hard and fast rule.

Frankly, I would ask questions about the appropriateness of a project that was not going to be in the 50+ hours of total time until completion.
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby hacimsaalk » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:41 pm

wagionvigil wrote:IT IS NOBODYS THING IT IS AGAINST BSA. No where in anything does it say YOU MUST HAVE XX NUMBER OF HOURS. IF IT DOES SHOW ME!

im just going by what i have been told. i have a friend who i actively helped with his eagle project. he was told he had to have 50hrs. another scout i know was told 50hrs. my neighbor who is working on his eagle project was told 50hrs. i dont know who made the rule up, i just know that we're expected to follow it.
Micah

PA

Life Scout

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:40 am

hacimsaalk wrote:
wagionvigil wrote:IT IS NOBODYS THING IT IS AGAINST BSA. No where in anything does it say YOU MUST HAVE XX NUMBER OF HOURS. IF IT DOES SHOW ME!

im just going by what i have been told. i have a friend who i actively helped with his eagle project. he was told he had to have 50hrs. another scout i know was told 50hrs. my neighbor who is working on his eagle project was told 50hrs. i dont know who made the rule up, i just know that we're expected to follow it.

Whoever is telling you 50 hours is WRONG. This needs to corrected in yur troop, district, or wherever this rule is coming from.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:21 am

I truly believe you will have well over 50 hours total BUT to mandate this is not allowed.

If you have 10 scouts help and they each do 5 hours there are your 50 hours
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:31 am

I think that it is time for National to step up to the plate and let individual councils know that neither they nor troops can set up articial requirements such as hours for Eagle projects.

I would be more then happy to write the letter to National if someone would give me a POC.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

PreviousNext

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required