Cycling Merit Badge Trips?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Cycling Merit Badge Trips?

Postby fritz1255 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:44 pm

Does each cycling merit badge trip, particularly the 50-miler, have to be completed in a single day? I think that is the intention, but it is not specfically stated.
fritz1255
Life

Postby cballman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:31 pm

if you read the req. the 50 miler has to be completed in 8 hours or less. you could spread it over two days but most people dont ride at night so I think that it would be impossible. but the way we did the trips for our last cycling badge was done in the evening. the 50 milers were done either on a Sat. or Sun. but each trip was done in daylight of one day.
cballman

Postby Mrw » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:51 am

I would definitely interpret the 50 miles in 8 hours to be in one day. And I would think that 8 hours includes the break time.

50 miles seems to be a REALLY long way to a lot of people. For those of us who ride bikes, it means anywhere from three to five hours of time, generally.

If the boy has done the previous rides as training, the final should be pretty easy.

A good way for a boy to complete this final ride would be a club ride or, better yet, an organized day tour. I am sure these san be found all over the country and spread over most of the year. In Ohio, the Ohio Bicycle Federation puts out a calendar every year that lists a couple hundred choices.

The great part about these tours is that they are exposed to folks of all ages and abilities. Most of them are very friendly, helpful and above all encouraging. This also gives the boy a place to start if he has decided that biking might be his choice of leisure/exercise activity. This is a great way to start a life-long fitness program.

(I will get off my soapbox now!)
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby cballman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:03 am

ahh the little miami bicycle trail which starts in milford ohio and ends up in xenia ohio is the way we did our last 50 miler. it is a paved trail on an old railroad bed and it is pretty much level. it took about 5 hours to complete the 50 miler each time.
cballman

Postby Mrw » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:16 am

Wonderful trail!

We have ridden there several times. It is part of the Ohio to Erie trail system which is under construction. In the next 5-10 years, you will be able to ride all the way from Cleveland to Cincinnati on trail. It is 60-70% done now I think.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby cballman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:20 am

mrw

i hate to be cruel but I dont ride all i do is meet them at different locations to refill water and snacks and make repairs. its a dirty job but someone has got to do it :twisted: but then again we have a ball. we did one in July and boy was it hot not just hot but HOT. we finished off most of the other kids on Oct. 1 it was hot but not as hot as July. it was a great time on both trips.
cballman

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:37 am

What is nice here is we have the yough River Trail, the C & O Canal Trail and the Great Allegheny Passage trail. They All inter connect and you can go from D.C. to Pittsburgh over an 8 day period. For some information on these you might look up "youghatomac Trip" it is an annual passage but you can do it on your own.

Also Check yough River Trail
C&O Canal Trail and The Great Allegheny Passage Trail

Wilderness Voyaguers of Ohiopyle Pa is the Outfitter for the Youghatomac excursion in June. If interested in a great 8 day trip contact them. It is a little Pricey but worth it.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby aflmom » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:12 am

I had some questions about the merit badges for cycling, swimming, and hiking. Are these designed to be done as a troop or can a scout do these individually? If individually, with the proper supervision and safety issues addressed, then who validates that the mileage has been done? It doesn't look like our troop will be doing these and we live in a hot climate. IF I was going to do the cycling as a partner, it certainly wouldn't be in the summer time.

Thanks!
aflmom
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:38 am

All merit Badges can be done as an Individual But it is always recommended to have a buddy either youth or adult(parent) go along.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:57 pm

i remember cycling, i got every requirement done at summer camp in indiana (camp chief little turtle -- great camp).

when i got home, i set up a appointment with a coucilor and he had me take the trip with a couple friends and a parent or two, and take pictures along the way. He couldnt come at the certain time i wanted to do it due to a illness. Since i moved about 25 miles away from my old house, all i had to do was bike down from my house, to my old house, and then down to where my troop met (another 15 miles) and back to my old house. We did it in about 6 hours.

Another thing that you have to do for cycling with that 50 miler is stay away from high ways. This was a challenge, cause if you ever have been to the metro detroit area, is that the roads are set in mile increments, and there were alot of roads concidered freeways and interstates, but i eventually got around it.

Have fun with the trip, 50 miles sounds like its a terrible ride, but if you have friends with you its not bad at all.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required